• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadaxis

Why is there no low battery indicator light on guitars with powered pickup systems?
I have two models (JP13 and Cutlass) and that would be a huge benefit at what would seem a relatively small addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GWDavis28

It seems like a good idea, but I would assume that there would have to be a circuit to determine when the battery gets to or below a certain % of life, and it could just light an LED that could be seen thru the rear trem panel.

Just a thought, Glenn |B)

tbonesullivan

Such a system would require the preamp be powered at at all times, or else there would be no way for the LED to turn on when the battery was low.

cbc83

The Parker Fly I used to own had a LED on the back panel. I lit up shortly when you plugged in the jack cable, then shut off. If the light stayed on, the battery was running low.

I don't know if a similiar system could be retrofitted. In the end, the JP's and Majestys are made for John Petrucci, and I imagine his tech either switches the batteries or checks them every night, so JP doesn't need a battery indicator.

Bill S

I think this would be a great idea, if it were possible. My Rode capacitor mic also has a light which comes on momentarily when it is plugged in. If the battery is low, the light stays on, if not, it goes out. Yes, the guitars are made for John Petrucci, but he will of course appreciate the vast majority of normal mortals don't have their own techs!

Craiguitar

It doesnt matter how great EBMM guitars are folk seem to constantly want more from them imo anyway.
Customer feedback does help shape future designs. Of my 4 EBMM guitars, none of them are perfect, there are always things that could be improved.

GWDavis28

I never said anything about asking or wanting EBMM to do something like this. I had thought more along the lines of something someone could do on there own with the right knowledge and the right know how. TBone brings up a good point, but there are always other ways. I personally don't know enough about the electronics, whether it be JP's or Silo's.

Glenn |B)

Spudmurphy

I used to work in the World of Continuous Improvement, working for HM Gov.

My moto was "Never throw out a suggestion or recommendation. Prepare to fail and feel no issues about doing so".
VOC- The Voice of the Customer is an invaluable improvement tool.
Great suggestions.

beej

I think we see continuous improvement over the entire MM line. They do listen to feedback and implement good ideas.

jadaxis

I appreciate the responses, but for those who think it’s difficult or has to be on all the time, I used to have a Breedlove acoustic that did the very thing I’m suggesting...and I guarantee it was not always on. It was only active when the cable was plugged in, just like I understand the powered circuits n the MM guitars are only using battery life when the 1/4” cable is plugged in. Just sayin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbonesullivan

Acoustics that have an onboard preamp usually use modular preamps designed by a third party, such as Fishman, who makes everything in large quantities overseas. The preamps usually have multiple LEDs that say things, and are quite a bit more advanced circuitwise than the active preamps in EBMM guitars.

Adding an LED that turns on when the guitar is plugged in and the battery is low would definitely add to the complexity of the circuit, and when this involves a lot of hand wiring, that would significantly add to the cost.

Then there's the question of where to put the LED. Except for the LP models, the only exterior sign of the active preamp is the battery box. They'd have to figure out some way to stick an LED on that battery box, or they would need to make another hole somewhere for the LED to show.

southbeck

Such a system would require the preamp be powered at at all times, or else there would be no way for the LED to turn on when the battery was low.

I´m not so sure. It´s quite common on acoustic guitars. Like the Baggs Anthem. You just press a small button and it shows how much batttery life there is left.
I do also think it would be a great idea to have. Specially on the Luke 3 that I have myself which doesn´t work if the battery is dead. It doesn´t run in passive mode. As I do a fair bit of live gigs I can´t change the battery that often.

tbonesullivan

I´m not so sure. It´s quite common on acoustic guitars. Like the Baggs Anthem. You just press a small button and it shows how much batttery life there is left.
I do also think it would be a great idea to have. Specially on the Luke 3 that I have myself which doesn´t work if the battery is dead. It doesn´t run in passive mode. As I do a fair bit of live gigs I can´t change the battery that often.
the LR Baggs system is a modular unit with a circuit board. The Luke III electronics are pretty much hand built. Where would they put the button to push and the LED that would not overly complicate construction?

I also honestly find low battery lights to be deceiving, as all they show is if it passes a certain threshold, so you really have no idea how much is left in the battery. If you really want to know, pull the battery and see what the voltage reads with a multi meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom