• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

AjCalderon

Hi new to the forum as this is my first purchase in the EBMM/SBMM world of wonder. I ordered my SBMM short scale in Olympic White back in April after hearing glowing reviews and must say this thing is more beautiful in person!!! Kinda bummed about one thing though. It would seem I was sent a blemished model. The top of the headstock has been crudely sanded down to the bare wood like they tried to fix a last minute ding at the factory. It’s unfinished in the area and causes a minor bevel. Kinda bummed since it’s other wise fit and finish wise. Setup from the factory was non existent the saddle height on the g is like half as high as the rest of the strings so I’ll need to do a whole setup on it. Don’t know what to do about the headstock tho as it took sooooooo long for this thing to arrive idk if I want to wait that long for another but at the same time feel like Guitar Center will probably try and pass the buck or offer tiny bit of a discount back. Suggestions?

Attachments

• 6DF1A74E-7DC3-4304-AD9A-027832EEEBCC.jpeg
    6DF1A74E-7DC3-4304-AD9A-027832EEEBCC.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 8C8344EA-1D04-4029-9E2A-98C2B87CCD5A.jpeg
    8C8344EA-1D04-4029-9E2A-98C2B87CCD5A.jpeg
    49 KB · Views: 194
  • D804D172-26AC-46D2-B4D9-E7EE505BA2AC.jpeg
    D804D172-26AC-46D2-B4D9-E7EE505BA2AC.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 141

AjCalderon

Yea Guitar Center told me they could give me $30 or send me another one in DECEMBER. I told them there was no way that could ever be acceptable and a supervisor said that since my original purchase was discounted the most they could do was the tax which was about $90. The bass in Olympic White appears to be sold out everywhere else that I can find that would be able to match the original price I paid or I’d send it back and just get a new one. GC has updated their return policy to 180 days so I guess if they come back in stock I could exchange it eventually but idk. I’ll probably end up living with it just to not have to wait and be able to start modding it just bummed I don’t feel I have a choice.

xjbebop

Wow... that's not good, all the way around.
It may take a while to get a response, but contact SBMM Customer service. Send them the info posted here and ask them about availability of a replacement. I've had a few SBMM instruments over the years and I will say their CS has always been top notch.
Dealing with GC has always been a gamble... I've had very good service from a few, and not so good from a lot of them...

brash47

Your GC purchase date is the start of your warranty period. If the bass is brand new, like he said above, contact cust. service. If they received it that way. New in box, that's a warranty issue.

Don't answer this here...was the bass wrapped in plastic with tags attached from EBMM, not a GC tag. Did you get all case goodies in a sealed envelope? There would be indicators if GC had opened it and done anything.

Brash

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

five7

Your GC purchase date is the start of your warranty period. If the bass is brand new, like he said above, contact cust. service. If they received it that way. New in box, that's a warranty issue.

Don't answer this here...was the bass wrapped in plastic with tags attached from EBMM, not a GC tag. Did you get all case goodies in a sealed envelope? There would be indicators if GC had opened it and done anything.

Brash

Why would it have tags from EBMM, op said bass is SBMM. Someone ruined that neck though. Sad!

danny-79

Just looked at photos properly. Are you sure that’s a brand new, brand spanking new bass ???

AjCalderon

It’s supposed to be! Super bummed cause I already picked up a carbon fiber control panel and black hipshot for it but hesitating to put them on until I see if I can find one for the same price I paid that isn’t sold out or at least until SBMM gets back to me to see if they offer any help sooner than Guitar Center can. If they weren’t so badly back ordered I’m sure it’d be as easy as G.C. sending me a new one. Interested to see how they handle it. Anyone ever open one of these up to see what kinda pots/wiring are in them?

danny-79

I can’t honestly see it leaving the factory like that. It’s definitely something you need to take up with the shop you got it from and go from there.
Maybe get them to order you another and you hang onto to the one you have now until the replacement arrives would be the kind of deal I’d be looking to get. Or....... if you can live with it looking like that getting some cash back on it

tbonesullivan

If this guitar was purchased NEW from guitar center, they should be your primary point of contact. Why is the guitar not already being returned to them? Was it purchased as a blemish or discounted guitar?

brash47

Why would it have tags from EBMM, op said bass is SBMM. Someone ruined that neck though. Sad!
Oops. I saw the EBMM/SBMM part and missed the following SBMM. For this, I would have to say GC issue.

I would return it. I checked on various websites. Zzounds says coming soon and WoodwindBrasswind says shippjng August 20. I would say GC manager is full of it and I'd go with Zzounds or WoodwindBrasswind. Both have been very reliable for me. I usually use zzounds since they are an internet source and nobody is touching your bass before you do.

Brash

Last edited:

Grugenhagen

Oops. I saw the EBMM/SBMM part and missed the following SBMM. For this, I would have to say GC issue.

I would return it. I checked on various websites. Zzounds says coming soon and WoodwindBrasswind says shippjng August 20. I would say GC manager is full of it and I'd go with Zzounds or WoodwindBrasswind. Both have been very reliable for me. I usually use zzounds since they are an internet source and nobody is touching your bass before you do.

Brash

FWIW, Woodwind & Brasswind is one of Guitar Center's subsidiaries.

xjbebop

fwiw, the reason I suggested contacting SBMM CS is because I got a smoking deal on a new SBMM Albert Lee awhile back. Unfortunately, it had a neck problem (truss rod issue...).
I contacted SBMM CS about it and they shipped a replacement neck directly to me, no questions asked.
If the OP could be lucky enough for them to provide the same service for him, it would be the fastest resolution.

AjCalderon

fwiw, the reason I suggested contacting SBMM CS is because I got a smoking deal on a new SBMM Albert Lee awhile back. Unfortunately, it had a neck problem (truss rod issue...).
I contacted SBMM CS about it and they shipped a replacement neck directly to me, no questions asked.
If the OP could be lucky enough for them to provide the same service for him, it would be the fastest resolution.

Omg this would be my ideal solution. I hope something like this is possible for me because other than the sanding removing a chunk of wood from the neck it plays great. Fingers crossed. If they take care of me I will more than likely order a second one with a maple neck so that I’d have both neck options. Idk how I feel about the blue tho. If end up with both necks I’ll probably refinish the blue body something more my style haha.

tbonesullivan

Omg this would be my ideal solution. I hope something like this is possible for me because other than the sanding removing a chunk of wood from the neck it plays great. Fingers crossed. If they take care of me I will more than likely order a second one with a maple neck so that I’d have both neck options. Idk how I feel about the blue tho. If end up with both necks I’ll probably refinish the blue body something more my style haha.
Have you contacted Guitar Center yet? I'm trying to figure out why you haven't already sent it back. If that happened to the headstock, who knows what else happened to it.

brash47

FWIW, Woodwind & Brasswind is one of Guitar Center's subsidiaries.
True, alpt of music stores are now, but they are still their own entity and they are good about actual shipping dates where it seems everything is vague with GC itself. The managers at GC's have alot of input in regards to pricing, which is very cool in one regard, but has also led to their many financial troubles over the years.

Back to the original topic! Watcha gonna do!!!

AjCalderon

Have you contacted Guitar Center yet? I'm trying to figure out why you haven't already sent it back. If that happened to the headstock, who knows what else happened to it.
I haven’t sent it back because they won’t be able to replace it until dec/Jan at the earliest and I have a 180 day return window apparently. So I’m in the process of trying to see if I can get help from SBMM customer service and if not I’ll return it once I can find one from another retailer in Olympic white but having trouble finding anything but daphne blue

Top Bottom