• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

N4860

OK so this post might end up being a bit long but I need some advice please.

I just traded a Fender bass for a Bongo 6 which I believe will end up being a great deal, however, the Bongo needs some work since it appears to have been neglected. At first glance, I noticed some rusty strings which were coming off the wrong side of the tuning posts so that was easily fixed (I will be getting new strings soon anyways but 6 string sets are hard to come by here). The tuners and bridge are a bit rusty so I want to get that cleaned up. Does anyone know the best and safest way to clean some grime and rust off of the chrome hardware?

The next, and biggest issue is that it looks like it has been sitting around for years with full tension on the neck without any trussrod adjustments so the action is currently sitting at about 1/4" from the top of the fret to the bottom of the B string. When I got home, I loosened the tension off of the strings and I did a small turn to tighten the truss rod. I also tried to put a little pressure on the neck near the nut and body with my leg pushing up on the back of the neck in the middle to help the rod when I tightened it. Is that a good idea, or is there a more proper way? I know I've heard of others suggesting to help the rod out when making adjustments and I felt that taking off the string tension might help it so that the rod wasn't fighting all that tension pulling it the other way. Please correct me if I have been doing any of this wrong.

My plan was to just keep making small adjustments about every 24 hours until it is hopefully back to closer to the stock specs. My last question is should I bother with the truss rod adjustments now, knowing that I have to take the strings off and disassemble the hardware to clean it, or should I do the cleaning first and then do the truss rod? I don't want to get the neck back in order only to have to fix it again if it is affected by sitting around for a day or so with no strings on it. I'm just eager to get this back to the condition it deserves because this thing is otherwise immaculate in terms of the paint. Not a dent or chip on it.

Thanks, the help is greatly appreciated! (oh and if anyone can tell me how to post a pic here, that would be great, it doesn't seem to work for me when I try to upload a pic from my computer)

N4860

Perfect! Can not be a mistake.
Go advanced and insert Image (works on iMac and iPhone).
View attachment 36940

Thanks, Bert! I tried that before in another thread and it didn't appear to attach the image but I'm going to give it a shot here. I think the issue was the I selected the file before and didn't realize you have to then click the upload file button underneath. I thought it was loading indefinitely or something. Well now that I have that figured out I can send a pic of the bass. I will take another pic later showing the crazy forward bow in the neck.

117183311_1764237757064298_298752568761279787_n.jpg

danny-79

Wow that is a high action!
Lovely looking bass though.
I’ve still got serious GAS for a Bongo 6.

As far a cleaning tuners. I’ve recently had to do a major cleanup on my cream stingray. The tuners had gone very dull. I used silver cleaner, the wool type stuff in a metal can. Good as new now :)

N4860

Wow that is a high action!
Lovely looking bass though.
I’ve still got serious GAS for a Bongo 6.

As far a cleaning tuners. I’ve recently had to do a major cleanup on my cream stingray. The tuners had gone very dull. I used silver cleaner, the wool type stuff in a metal can. Good as new now :)

Thanks, I'll see if I can find that silver cleaner.

Yes, the bass is very nice, and I have got the action down a bit so far in about a day and a half. It was 16/64ths and now I have it at about 11/64ths so some progress. I'm waiting on some new strings to arrive so that I can start doing the deep clean on the hardware.

tbonesullivan

Wow. that is some high action. I would let the strings go slack, and make sure that the neck bolt screws are snug.

The wood may have compressed enough that it could require a shim if the action is that high. How bowed is the neck?

N4860

Wow. that is some high action. I would let the strings go slack, and make sure that the neck bolt screws are snug.

The wood may have compressed enough that it could require a shim if the action is that high. How bowed is the neck?

The neck bolt screws seem to be OK. When I have it tuned up, I can physically pull the neck back towards me and see the strings get closer to the neck, however, the trussrod seems to be almost maxed out and not quite up to the task of fighting the forward bow. It is quite bowed when tuned up. Do you think I should bring it to a tech to see if he can try to clamp the neck and have it reset so that the truss rod won't have to work so hard?

danny-79

I’ll second that. Action like that will need more than a quick trussrod tweak. I’d put money on it that its twisted (corkscrewed) and will need a reset.

N4860

I’ll second that. Action like that will need more than a quick trussrod tweak. I’d put money on it that its twisted (corkscrewed) and will need a reset.

I just dropped it off so I will see what they say once they've had a chance to look at it further.

five7

Two basses with trussrod issues, that sucks. Sorry for you.

N4860

Two basses with trussrod issues, that sucks. Sorry for you.

Yeah, but at least with this Bongo I knew going in that it was going to likely have issues. It was a good deal with that in mind so just hoping it can be fixed. I'm sure the stingray will be alright once everything is sorted out, but that was disappointing since its so new. The bongo is like 10 years old.

Mbrgr1

Mother's mag and aluminum polish (any car parts store) with a microfiber cloth, after tearing down all the tuners and giving them a bath in dish soap and water with an old toothbrush. Shines like new!

And on the unfinished maple fretboard which brought new meaning to "grunge" band!, damp microfiber cloth with dish soap and a 1/2 hr scrubbing with the grain revealed a beautiful board.

Good fun! Nice B6! btw

Attachments

• st1.jpg
    st1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 92
  • st2.jpg
    st2.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 94

N4860

Mother's mag and aluminum polish (any car parts store) with a microfiber cloth, after tearing down all the tuners and giving them a bath in dish soap and water with an old toothbrush. Shines like new!

And on the unfinished maple fretboard which brought new meaning to "grunge" band!, damp microfiber cloth with dish soap and a 1/2 hr scrubbing with the grain revealed a beautiful board.

Good fun! Nice B6! btw

Thanks, I believe I saw a Mother's chrome polish at my local home depot so I will pick some up. Hopefully the bass isn't at the tech for too long cuz I'm itching to clean it and start playing.

N4860

Well, just got a voicemail from my tech that is looking at the Bongo and got some excellent news. He said he took the neck off, took the truss rod nut off and lubed up the truss rod and with some negative pressure got the neck back under control. Said he set it up and it's ready for me to pick up tomorrow. Unfortunately for me, I will be working for most of the day tomorrow so I'll likely just have a few minutes to pick it up and then have to wait until midnight before I get the chance to plug it in. Oh well, I'm just happy it'll be in working order!

Top Bottom