• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

B String Gauge

• Total voters

danny-79

I’m pretty new to the 5 string. Very new :D

I’m just seeing what gauge of B you prefer. I’ve just changed the 130 that it came with for a 135 (as that’s what I use on BEAD) and I’m not sure that I like it or not ?
So what’s your preference?

Is the rule of thumb go a gauge lighter on a 5 string than you would on a 4 string ?

Samoht

I’m pretty new to the 5 string. Very new :D

I’m just seeing what gauge of B you prefer. I’ve just changed the 130 that it came with for a 135 (as that’s what I use on BEAD) and I’m not sure that I like it or not ?
So what’s your preference?

Is the rule of thumb go a gauge lighter on a 5 string than you would on a 4 string ?
I honestly can’t make up my mind. For my SR5 I like the .130 from the green pack, but I’ve tried .125, .130, and .135 from many different manufacturers on my Bongo 5HH and I honestly don’t love any of them. Still searching. Guess I’ll choose .130 overall because I do like it on one bass and they’re certainly easy to get in a pinch.

danny-79

I honestly can’t make up my mind. For my SR5 I like the .130 from the green pack, but I’ve tried .125, .130, and .135 from many different manufacturers on my Bongo 5HH and I honestly don’t love any of them. Still searching. Guess I’ll choose .130 overall because I do like it on one bass and they’re certainly easy to get in a pinch.

I’ve just put the original set it came with back on. The Coated that I put on a couple of weeks ago the finger noise was getting worse not better so binned them and put the next set I’d got lined up on and really didn’t like them..
BEA were only a .5 up and the difference was massive.
They are my favourite stings, on a Four anyways... just sounded muddy on the Bongo.
Oh well got a NOS BEAD set spare. waste of fifty notes :(

five7

I use 120 on one and 130 on another. 130 is in the standard set shipped on new basses from the factory.

drTStingray

I have 125-40 pink pack Slinkies on my ceramic SR5 and prefer these, on that bass to any other string set I've used on it - I prefer the sound across fingerstyle and slap/pop.

I have Cobalt rounds on my Bongo 5 (from when they were first released for 5 string) - they are still fine (130-45 IIRC).

My Stingray Special 5HH still has the factory strings (presume 130, 100, 80, 65, 45) and my US Sub 5 still has the strings it came with (presumed EB green pack).

Last edited:

danny-79

I've been using a .125... but I have light gauges all around!

I use 120 on one and 130 on another. 130 is in the standard set shipped on new basses from the factory.

I have 125-40 pink pack Slinkies on my ceramic SR5 and prefer these, on that bass to any other string set I've used on it - I prefer the sound across fingerstyle and slap/pop.

I have Cobalt rounds on my Bongo 5 (from when they were first released for 5 string) - they are still fine (130-45 IIRC).

My Stingray Special 5HH still has the factory strings (presume 130, 100, 80, 65, 45) and my US Sub 5 still has the strings it came with (presumed EB green pack).

I’d never of considered anything lower than a 130 having only had a low B on a four string in the past. The narrower string spacing on a five crates the illusion that the string are thicker than they are. It’s understandable me freaking out then !

B. 130 max.
Consider going lighter in the future.
Thanks for the help

danny-79

I’ve now got it set up perfectly to my taste. Sanity is restored once again.
Expensive experience or what !

I’ve got a set of heavy coated steels that are good as new, fitted to a bongo for all of 10mins. If they are of any use to anyone PM me for more details and we can sort something out

Top Bottom