• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Joeglow

Hey all, so I just bought NOS Big Al 4 s-s-sthat has been sitting in a store in Spain for the last 10 years and appears to still be new but neglected. The battery compartment is totally rotted out from leaving batteries inside of it but that's being remedied. My real query is the tone control diagram. I can't find it anywhere online or in this forum or on the EBMM site. Does anyone have any access to one that wouldn't mind sharing it. Also, looking for the proper pickup height specifications as well if possible. Thanks for any and all help here.

Jef

You will be able to download the diagram and schematics from this web page:
Big Al

Same as Bert, this one is the "original" pdf file from MM.
Two files in the zip, Humbucker and SSS (the file is too big to be attached here).

Hope it helps,
Jef

Joeglow

Thank you guys, you are all great!

Yes, it was a great find. I've been looking for a long time and could never get my hands one fast enough when they hit the market. Funny thing about these basses, besides the waaaaay different body style of course, is they sound amazing. I own 3 other Stingrays and this gets that sound, but the single coils enable it to dial in on tones that even the 2H SRs don't really get. Nails a P bass with the front pickup. Since atm I can only play it in passive mode until the part arrives from EBMM. The neck is much slimmer width, more like a jazz bass. Very fast playing and easy to jump around the fretboard with. It's a shame these didn't catch on because they are great sounding and playing basses. The only thing I am not that crazy about is the color. It is black with black pg and rosewood fretboard. It does nothing for the look of this shape. I'm planning on doing a refinish on it now in something that will make it stand out properly and tastefully, I hope.

I actually repainted my 2017 StingRay from a mint green to a 3 color shift paint that looks amazing. Like the new Nebula PRS for John Mayer. I'll post some pictures tomorrow of both.

bovinehost

Administrator
My bandmates call my Big Al "the recording bass" and are very suspicious these days if I choose to use anything else.

They have thankfully decided that a Bongo is acceptable, but still, they seem nervous.

Enjoy that sucker. They truly are wonderful instruments.

Joeglow

Thanks, it really is a great playing and sounding bass. I used it last night at rehearsal, it covers so many tones necessary in my band. Not disappointed at all. Now, once I get the battery box from EBMM I can actually do a real set up and a proper cleaning.

N4860

Nice find, I think I had been looking at that for the last few months on Reverb. I've been searching for a 5 string version though.

Rod Trussbroken

Hey all, so I just bought NOS Big Al 4 s-s-sthat has been sitting in a store in Spain for the last 10 years and appears to still be new but neglected. The battery compartment is totally rotted out from leaving batteries inside of it but that's being remedied. My real query is the tone control diagram. I can't find it anywhere online or in this forum or on the EBMM site. Does anyone have any access to one that wouldn't mind sharing it. Also, looking for the proper pickup height specifications as well if possible. Thanks for any and all help here.

I have the PDF here that I can email.

Joeglow

Thank you. I have copy that was listed on this thread.

**UPDATE** I just received the correct battery box and I'll be tearing this thing down this weekend to install it, clean the bejesus out of it, new strings, fretboard condition, set the intonation, correct saddle radius, etc. I'll add some pics as promised, I just haven't had the time to do anything lately.

Thank you to all that have been eager to help, offer advice and shown genuine interest in this bass.

bassmanmicah

Sorry to bring back an old thread but this seems like a good place to start. Reflecting on my bass collection, the "one that got away" continues to be a 5 string Big Al SSS. I saw one a few years back in Sky Blue with maple board and matching headstock, which is the exact bass I am looking for, but I missed out. If anyone knows where to find this unicorn, please let me know!

Grugenhagen

I got mine from a fellow forumer last fall who advertised it in the For Sale thread here. A Neptune Blue PDN 5SSS recently came up for sale on TalkBass but sold pretty quickly. I've seen a couple on Reverb in the past 2-3 years as well. They do appear from time to time so you just need patience and a little bit of luck.

I had to wait nearly 5 years before a coveted (by me) Dargie Delight I Sterling became available. "Thrill of the hunt", I guess.

Last edited:

Morrow

Never been able to put my hands on a Big Al , but I’ve drooled at the pictures .
Nice thread revival !

BIGEJ2

Sorry to bring back an old thread but this seems like a good place to start. Reflecting on my bass collection, the "one that got away" continues to be a 5 string Big Al SSS. I saw one a few years back in Sky Blue with maple board and matching headstock, which is the exact bass I am looking for, but I missed out. If anyone knows where to find this unicorn, please let me know!

I sold it and a Big Al 5H (tangerine pearl, rosewood, matching headstock) to a session player in Los Angeles back in 2016. I was looking to simply my setup and he was looking for two jack-of-all-trades basses. Needless to say the combo was a perfect match for him.

MingusBASS

Picked up this beauty last night! It's pretty rad!

Attachments

• 214286941_10158768448266549_2061085286466730717_n.jpg
    214286941_10158768448266549_2061085286466730717_n.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 215752355_10158768448101549_88093674098290926_n.jpg
    215752355_10158768448101549_88093674098290926_n.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 82
  • 214996427_10158768448161549_344610140958014730_n.jpg
    214996427_10158768448161549_344610140958014730_n.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 69

danny-79

Wow that’s a beauty! Normally I’d say maple is deal breaker but I’m sure I’d cope!
Nice one :)

tbonesullivan

Wow that’s a beauty! Normally I’d say maple is deal breaker but I’m sure I’d cope!
Nice one :)

My first 2 stingrays both had oiled maple FB. These days I even can tolerate a finished maple fretboard. I don't know what changed, as I used to be "must be rosewood or ebony".

danny-79

My first 2 stingrays both had oiled maple FB. These days I even can tolerate a finished maple fretboard. I don't know what changed, as I used to be "must be rosewood or ebony".

Fretboard material is a strange one, some say they can’t tell what’s what in a blind test. Story’s I’ve heard are, maple is smoother so better for bending stings on, and rosewood looks to stay cleaner.
Personally I think rosewood creates a mental warmth where maple is cold. With that in mind it makes the maple sound brighter, if it really does or not .....
But I agree theses days I’m open to any material, especially roasted maple.
Lacquer on the back of the neck is a deal breaker for me but that’s another conversation

Top Bottom