• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

gurtejsingh

Fellow ballers, I am need of some help over here. A couple of weeks back, the pickup selector on my JP15 (Sahara burst), gave up and I have got a replacement with me, many thanks to a very good and kind friend. But we are under strict lockdown here in Melbourne and I cannot visit a luthier and as sad as it is, the lockdown just keeps extending, govt. just extended the whole thing by another 2 weeks :(

I would like to understand the complexity in trying to fix it myself, and that is where I need your help. I am sure many of you have tried their hands at soldering before, but I havent. I understand how the whole thing works, but I am concerned due to the complicated wiring inside and multiple contact points.

Could you guys please help me with:

1. What soldering gear and parts (any specific makes/model would really help) would I need to perform the replacement? the PCB is thankfully already attached to the toggle.
2. How many contact points would I need to remove and solder?
3. Does anyone by any possible chance have a video of how to do it? Or any steps that can help out? Anything that you can share can help a lot

I know, some may think that it's plain simple to do soldering, but please pardon me as I want to be really careful with the guitar.

Looking forward to your advice and help.

Thanks!

tj1

I think other can give more detailed advice. But my general direction is if you have little or no experience with how electronics work is to get an educational circuit board kit(aimed at adolescents) in order to be even more competent to mess around with your multi thousand dollar posession.

gurtejsingh

Thanks for the input. I do have some basic understanding of how electronics work and I know that I need to solder on the wires in the right contact points (same positions they are at the moment) At this moment, I am not sure how complicated that would get and how many points am I dealing with here?

Top Bottom