• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

vic_loher

I'm not sure about premium, standard, etc. But, I usually use M-Steels, which came on my Cutlass and which I quickly put on my AL HH, I really like these strings. I use Slinkys on my Axis SSs.

I've tried the Paradym (sp?) strings and didn't really bond with them, but that's just my take.

Also, there is a section in this forum for strings, which may be helpful to you.

Last edited:

TripHazard

I’ve used Elixir’s but have recently been using RPS Coated titanium by ERnie Ball because I can’t 8s in Elixirs

Flash Gordon

I stumbled upon StringJoy out of Nashville. I’ve been trying out their Broadways Classic Super Light Gauge (9-40) Pure Nickel strings, and love them (on one of my Axis Tribute guitars). Pure nickel with a round core wire gives you that old school warm tone and shimmer, with a smooth playability. Down side is round core is not as durable as a hexagonal core.

Price does not necessarily correlate to performance. There is a ton of information online about how different metals and core shapes can influence the sound of your guitar and it’s specific construction (woods used, etc.), with your pick-ups. Best thing you can do is educate yourself on these differences and trial and error for string materials and gauge preferences for your tone and feel.

Jp6Fanatic

I use DR strings, the G string actually stays in tune with them so that's an instant win in my book

beej

So, I'm not sure what the original question really means. "Premium" is in the eye of the beholder ... some strings have particular features that make them handy for a given purpose (e.g. RPS strings with the reinforced ball end, coated to prevent corrosion, etc). "Neutral" isn't really a thing with strings, since composition obviously affect their sonic qualities.

This is sort of turning into a "what kind of strings do you like" thread. Personally (and I'm not just saying this b/c this forum is owned by Ernie Ball / Music Man), I'm die hard EB fan. Started with something else, but wound up at EB and have always been happy (Slinkys, Cobalt, and Paradigm on various guitars).

elvisdog

super slinky 9-42. my finger-sweat kills strings fast so I need to change them pretty often -- don't want to get into fancy strings. love the sound of pure nickel but I can kill a set of those in a week.

Top Bottom