• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

DeeDee

Hi all

I was recently fortunate enough to pick up a lovely 1992 Stingray 4H. The seller didn't claim that the hardshell case it came with was original but on close inspection it looks to me like it is.

It's smooth sided (i.e. no logo) and shorter than the usual moulded Stingray cases. It appears to be for right-handed models only and the giveaway to me is that the internal moulding is notched out for the G string tuner to the underside of the headstock.

Could anyone confirm whether these were issued by EB around that time?

Many thanks

5.jpg IMG_8316.jpg

Bert

Hi all

I was recently fortunate enough to pick up a lovely 1992 Stingray 4H. The seller didn't claim that the hardshell case it came with was original but on close inspection it looks to me like it is.

It's smooth sided (i.e. no logo) and shorter than the usual moulded Stingray cases. It appears to be for right-handed models only and the giveaway to me is that the internal moulding is notched out for the G string tuner to the underside of the headstock.

Could anyone confirm whether these were issued by EB around that time?

Many thanks

Here is a pic from my 1996 Case. Black, a bit smaller than an F one, with silver lining. Afair my 1992 looked the same: 9IMG_0029.jpg

DeeDee

Here is a pic from my 1996 Case. Black, a bit smaller than an F one, with silver lining. Afair my 1992 looked the same: View attachment 37117

Thanks for your reply.

This is part of my confusion in trying to find what was used and when. Some basses had moulded cases and some had the G&G type like your pic. I’ve had lots of ‘rays but the earliest one before this was a ‘99 and that too had a G&G case. However, many older than that were evidently supplied with moulded cases.

So what I’m basically asking is was this type of case one of the types used in the early nineties

Last edited:

strummer

Enormous Member
The case in the pictures looks like an old SKB case, the earliest I have was bought by me in 1993, so they were around then. But, on the SKB site they mention "SKB has been creating guitar cases for Ernie Ball for over 15 years. " so I don't think that case is an original Musicman Case. But it can definitely be era correct:)

drTStingray

It seems some of the early 90s Musicman basses sold in the UK did not ship to the UK with cases - similar for some of the pre EB basses although there are some with standard cases for the era and also the tear drop version - the pre EB one I bought new wasn't sold with a case - I already had a case which I used with it and I know some people bought flight cases for theirs.

I have a 93 EBMM Stingray fretless which is in its original Levis Ernie Ball Musicman badged luxury gig bag. I bought a similar EBMM gig bag for my 93 blueburst also as I didn't like the case it came with.

These gig bags are used regularly to transport whichever bass or basses I'm using for a gig or rehearsal - I haven't taken a bass out in a hard case for years as they're great at damaging the inside of your car!! Gone are my days of having to stow one in a group van!! :)

Last edited:

DeeDee

It seems some of the early 90s Musicman basses sold in the UK did not ship to the UK with cases - similar for some of the pre EB basses although there are some with standard cases for the era and also the tear drop version - the pre EB one I bought new wasn't sold with a case - I already had a case which I used with it and I know some people bought flight cases for theirs.

I have a 93 EBMM Stingray fretless which is in its original Levis Ernie Ball Musicman badged luxury gig bag. I bought a similar EBMM gig bag for my 93 blueburst also as I didn't like the case it came with.

These gig bags are used regularly to transport whichever bass or basses I'm using for a gig or rehearsal - I haven't taken a bass out in a hard case for years as they're great at damaging the inside of your car!! Gone are my days of having to stow one in a group van!! :)

Thanks. Yes it appears there are a few older Stingrays about that have since been treated to a new EBMM case. Like you I always use gig bags, but I do also like to have original cases wherever possible for storing the basses at home.

Top Bottom