• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

bart_funk

Hello,

I made a video that might be interesting for you :cool:

If you know something more, write here.

Any additional information will be helpful.

Thanks for watching,
Bart

danny-79

Cool videos, I enjoyed watching them, you’ve done a lot of research!
The adventures in spontaneous jamming video he did with River Phoenix. I remember buying that on vhs from a local music shop when I was a kid. (and years later on dvd) thinking I was to learn so much from the master lol :p but that was about it as far as tutorials went. Not the best of tutorial vids but fun to watch.
Cheers for that

drTStingray

What do you mean?

I think there's a lot of love for Flea amongst bass players but also quite a lot of criticism and scorn from others - not sure why but when you hear of alleged bass players referring to Jaco's work as aimless noodling it seems players who are advanced in technique - or even dare to use certain techniques (eg slapping, tapping) attract moaners!!

Thanks for posting these - they're really interesting compilations - in one of the videos with the black SR4, when he turns around it looks like the back of the neck on the headstock is the Cutlass 1 - I wonder if he de-stickered it at some point or maybe swapped the neck? The other thing is he's been filmed using, I think the Sterling for recording in more recent years. He clearly likes Musicman basses and really the Modulus is similar to the Cutlass 1, whilst his current bass is really a Stingray copy!!

bart_funk

in one of the videos with the black SR4, when he turns around it looks like the back of the neck on the headstock is the Cutlass 1 - I wonder if he de-stickered it at some point or maybe swapped the neck? The other thing is he's been filmed using, I think the Sterling for recording in more recent years. He clearly likes Musicman basses and really the Modulus is similar to the Cutlass 1, whilst his current bass is really a Stingray copy!!

Timecode?

whilst his current bass is really a Stingray copy!!

and it sounds like crap...

I think the Sterling for recording in more recent years.

He has never used Sterling in the RHCP recordings. Last 23 years were Modulus and 61' Jazz Bass.

Definitely. If said Flea had nothing to do with buying my first StingRay I’d be lying

In my case, I bought it because I loved Flea.

I just did a video on Wall MK II:
FLEA’s Blood Sugar Sex Magik BASS - WAL MK II - YouTube

drTStingray

Timecode?

and it sounds like crap...

He has never used Sterling in the RHCP recordings. Last 23 years were Modulus and 61' Jazz Bass.

In my case, I bought it because I loved Flea.

I just did a video on Wall MK II:
FLEA’s Blood Sugar Sex Magik BASS - WAL MK II - YouTube

I couldn't find that on rewatching it but I thought showed the back of the graphite neck momentarily - I think it must have been the light.

There is a You Tube comparison of Modulus Flea v Fender Jazz Flea (active plus Ray pick up style version), v Stingray Special. The Fender sounds a bit like a 2 band Stingray - the Modulus and Musicman sound fatter.

I can't remember where I saw that film with Flea playing the Sterling - it was around the time of the album Stadium Arcadium - he certainly has only used Modulus and the 61 Jazz and Stingray Jazz copy live (I haven't heard the latest one live with the band but his original Jazz sounded far too thin and not aggressive for the classic RHCP stuff - having heard that, it was no surprise to me when he started using the Modulus again) - what he's used in the studio in recent years who knows - except he went through a period using the Jazz in the early/mid 2000s) - is there a true definitive list he's published of the more recent stuff? As I say he was playing the black Sterling in video footage (studio) in the mid/late 2000s.

Last edited:

bart_funk

Bass Player magazine journalist was invited to his house in 2006, and Flea showed him a couple of grooves on MM Sterling. Probably the bass that was the closest.

I did another video on early Flea's MM:

Top Bottom