• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Wildhorse

My poor technique aside, is there a recommended EB string that can reduce squeaking during slides? I’m already using String Fuel, FastFret etc., but have noticed some strings snitch me out for sloppy playing more so than others. Admittedly I’m not string savvy, but would very much like to to be fast tracked into squeak free playing. If this can be achieved with only the cost of using specific strings it would be fantastic.

Also, I’ve noticed that the squeakiest of strings also feel bad when doing slides. It’s almost like they are taking thin cuts from my callus’s. Then another set will feel and sound great. Is this a known cost of using certain string types? Are there strings specifically that feel smoother in addition to being more silent?

Thanks for any help..

Last edited:

Wildhorse

Holy cow, 2810 views so far and no advice on an Internet forum... LOL This has got to be a first.

Anyhow I wasn’t sure whether to delete the thread or offer feedback on the direction I went. Somebody recommended a string that covers pretty nicely for my technique issues and I’m playing pretty much squeak free with them. Now to put in the work to improve my playing in this regard too. So far 4 of my guitars have mostly stopped squeaking.. LOL

tbonesullivan

I see some youtube / facebook players pretty much spray down their strings right before they play to avoid squeak or make them more slippery or something.

Yeah, don't be one of those guys.

Axis Sport

I am a big fan of flat wounds, no squeak. Not everyone gets along with them and some say they are only good for jazz, but I play mostly rock clean or dirty and they sound awesome through my boogies.

Timetraveller

I am a big fan of flat wounds, no squeak. Not everyone gets along with them and some say they are only good for jazz, but I play mostly rock clean or dirty and they sound awesome through my boogies.

I'll be using this little pearl of wisdom, thanks for sharing the knowledge

Stephen

:)

I tell my students that string sqeak is like taking a breath while singing. It bothers some people more than others but it's an unavoidable part of the performance.

This.

And it can be a wanted part of the performance! It's a Rock'n Roll thing. :cool:

Mr. Stanley knows a thing or two about it:

... and he even started with flatwounds himself because of the sqeaks (from 2:30 in the clip).

Other than flats, one might try to improve damping technique, maybe use an EQ and/or compression.

Top Bottom