• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

RextheWonderDog

Greetings All,

I acquired a Luke BFR in a trade about 7 years ago. I contacted Ernie Ball before I completed the trade because I had concerns about the guitar's authenticity due to the non-standard serial number and the location of the serial number on the guitar. I sent photos to a rep at EB rep and talked to him about the guitar. He believed that the guitar was legitimate, but had no idea about the serial numbers. He speculated that it may have been an early prototype, but had no way to confirm.

Interestingly, I saw this ad for a Luke prototype, purportedly owned by the man himself. It also has a G-series serial number, except that the serial number is in the normal location:
Music Man Luke Prototype, Played by Lukather for 6 years, | Reverb

I'm hoping someone might recognize this guitar or have some information about the serial numbers. Any details that could help solve the mystery would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Rex

Attachments

• Luke headstock.jpg
    Luke headstock.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 212
  • Luke neck plate.jpg
    Luke neck plate.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 185
  • Luke neck.jpg
    Luke neck.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 211
  • Luke Neck Pocket.jpg
    Luke Neck Pocket.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 175
  • Luke Body - Copy.jpg
    Luke Body - Copy.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Great guitar! Nobody here on the forum will be able to tell you anything better than what EBMM have already told you. Personally, I don't recall stamped serial numbers on of a headstock on any guitar made after 1990. So yours is really unusual!

tbonesullivan

Looking at the guitar you have, it looks like there is finish missing in circles around the screw holes under the plate? Maybe it was a prototype for a no neck-plate joint like you see on Ibanez guitars?

Jamie M

Did anyone put serial number into search? It seems to come up with a JP guitar???

tbonesullivan

Yes, the tone wood cocktail. Alder body, maple top, mahogany block, slightly wider than the pickups, from the bridge to the neck pocket.
I guess since it is a BFR, things like that are pretty standard.

I have no doubts that it's a legitimate EBMM, but the question is, what IS it? Definitely not a run of the mill Luke BFR.

Top Bottom