• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Monahan

Ran across this a little while ago; a new Music Man relic-type model soon to be announced:

“Our motto has always been we build tools for the performing artists but won’t stop the building process until they are done and happy!” Ball explains. “In this case, we have replicated a 41-year-old instrument with all its wear and battle scars down to the last screw! This rendition process is not new to the music industry but it’s an exciting new avenue for us. It’s got four strings on it and played by a world-renowned musician in one of the most revered rock bands around the globe!”

Any guesses what they've got cookin'?

danny-79

I wonder if this is a one off, or something else. I really don't want to see EBMM go down the "relic" path.

Me either. I can’t stand them.
I always thought the definition of something new that has been made to to look old was , A Fake

(But let’s not open that can of worms) :p

Edmang

Ran across this a little while ago; a new Music Man relic-type model soon to be announced:

“Our motto has always been we build tools for the performing artists but won’t stop the building process until they are done and happy!” Ball explains. “In this case, we have replicated a 41-year-old instrument with all its wear and battle scars down to the last screw! This rendition process is not new to the music industry but it’s an exciting new avenue for us. It’s got four strings on it and played by a world-renowned musician in one of the most revered rock bands around the globe!”

Any guesses what they've got cookin'?

No real clue.... but would love it to be an Earthwood Bass!

Monahan

Not much a fan of 'relics' myself, though I am interested to see what EBMM have planned as the company has long avoided such things. My hope is they somehow do it better than the others, and that it not become a normal thing-- just something a little different and special ;)

metalarch

yesterday I saw a video of the bass with Cliff Williams, later the video was not there...for some reason it was up by mistake I guess

tbonesullivan

Don’t think I’d buy one but still a great tribute

Yeah, this is definitely new territory for EBMM. I don't really want a new anything that looks used. Plenty of used ones out there, though then you need to worry about hidden problems.

danny-79

Yeah, this is definitely new territory for EBMM. I don't really want a new anything that looks used. Plenty of used ones out there, though then you need to worry about hidden problems.

There’s nothing like a relic finish to divide opinions.
The thought of a brand new bass that’s had its finish “distressed” to look like it’s been gigged hard for 20yrs turns my stomach.
Any knocks, dink’s or scratches on my basses are earned.
Earn your own stripes!!!

Personally I’d hope this bass is a knock for knock recreation of the original aimed at a hardcore fan.

Edmang

There’s nothing like a relic finish to divide opinions.
The thought of a brand new bass that’s had its finish “distressed” to look like it’s been gigged hard for 20yrs turns my stomach.
Any knocks, dink’s or scratches on my basses are earned.
Earn your own stripes!!!

Personally I’d hope this bass is a knock for knock recreation of the original aimed at a hardcore fan.

I never understood the idea of a reliced bass. Also don't understand why anyone would want to buy jeans that are sold with pre-cut holes. Not my thing for sure.

Obviously some people do want that otherwise they would not be available for sale.

danny-79

Danny, you could always paint it blue. ;)

Providing you can pick one up at a good price on account of condition
I’m Now in process of starting the “distressed finish” it should be ready in about 20ish years :p

I never understood the idea of a reliced bass. Also don't understand why anyone would want to buy jeans that are sold with pre-cut holes. Not my thing for sure.

Obviously some people do want that otherwise they would not be available for sale.

When best jeans get holes in them I demote them to work jeans, eventually work shorts.
The concept of artificially aging a new object is totally lost on me. (Unless you’re an antique dealer trying to forge something maybe lol)

Last edited:

Stephen

Two band EQ, maple neck, four strings. What's not to like? :)

OK, I am not a fan of "relics" either, but the instrument under the worn paint is tempting!

PeteDuBaldo

That's what would interest me, a highly limited virtually identical issue/tribute for the bass player in one of the greatest hard rock bands ever.

<---- huge, huge, huge AC/DC fan (and as big a Dream Theater fan as I am, I believe I may have seen AC/DC in concert even more times than I have DT). I'm stoked for the new album and hopeful they do another tour.

pacop

Once again EBMM recognition to greatest bass ever, PRE EB: chunky, heavy.....but what a tone....

Golem

Well, it has to be probably the most well known Stingray on the Planet, whether people or know it or not.
Well said !

Never heard the name. Never heard most names. Pay only slightest attention to non local players. Keeps me happy.

The signatures on a few of my headstocks are not those of celebrity players. They are the signatures of whoever built the basses, not of whoever played the the paint right off it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom