• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

hallissyc

I currently have a Cutlass HSS and wanted another one. Which one would round me off? I was thinking Axis or Sabre...

jmmp

I currently have a Cutlass HSS and wanted another one. Which one would round me off? I was thinking Axis or Sabre...

The Sabre and cutlass are very similar, shape wise. The neck on the Sabre is a little thinner, and doesn’t morph shapes as you go up the neck. The pickups are hotter, but not really similar to the Axis. The Axis pickups sound fantastic, but I am not a big fan of Floyd Roses. The Sabre’s body is more comfortable (to me), but the neck on the axis feels a little better to me.

I would ask what kind of sounds you want to achieve besides your Cutlass? High gain? Floating bridge? Piezo?

What two would I have? Cutlass RS HSS and a Majesty 7 or JP7

Last edited:

hallissyc

Albert Lee HH or Valentine

How different are these than the Cutlass HSS? Would they be a good add to my arsenal? I am going for versatility. I feel like the Cutlass gives me good versatility, but I want something for high gain.

hallissyc

The Sabre and cutlass are very similar, shape wise. The neck on the Sabre is a little thinner, and doesn’t morph shapes as you go up the neck. The pickups are hotter, but not really similar to the Axis. The Axis pickups sound fantastic, but I am not a big fan of Floyd Roses. The Sabre’s body is more comfortable (to me), but the neck on the axis feels a little better to me.

I would ask what kind of sounds you want to achieve besides your Cutlass? High gain? Floating bridge? Piezo?

What two would I have? Cutlass RS HSS and a Majesty 7 or JP7

Love the JP line - any reason you suggest the 6 over the 15?

TripHazard

How different are these than the Cutlass HSS? Would they be a good add to my arsenal? I am going for versatility. I feel like the Cutlass gives me good versatility, but I want something for high gain.

If it’s high gain... not sure. Not my playing area. The valentine gives you a Tele and 335 in one guitar, with a really nice boost switch. I think it would have no problem with high gain, but I can’t testify

TripHazard

They are pretty different. See previous comments on Val. AL HH is the same pickups as the Axis SS. You get 5 positions - inner and outer coils for positions 2 and 4. It will take gain no problem, and it feels wonderful to play. All rosewood neck = sweeeeeeeet

jmmp

Love the JP line - any reason you suggest the 6 over the 15?

I’ve determined I hardly ever use the piezo, and would rather have the passive electronics of a JP6 (or 7) and the most comfortable arm scoop ever made on a guitar, but I find the majesty neck shape more comfortable. But that’s just me. If you’re looking at the JP line, you won’t go wrong with any of them.

Top Bottom