• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

GregP

As a proud owner of a new EBMM Short Scale Stingray let me just say they knocked this one out of the park. I admit I was skeptical when they got rid of the Cutlass and Caprice. I wasn't sure how they were going to improve upon those wonderful basses. Let me tell you as a player with smaller hands I am truly loving this bass!

That roasted neck is just so smooth and the shaping is just perfect. Let me tell you that not all 1.5" nut width are created equal. Just the smoothness of the curve on that neck shape makes this bass such a joy to play. I feel a little bad for the people who got the first year model without the roasted neck because when I listen to demos I feel like the roasted neck model has a little more soul. It just sounds more broken in...which I dig but others may not.

The electronics are just spot on too. They seemed to match the volume between parallel and single coil...I can't even tell a difference. Series has that nice boost in volume. What's fascinating is that in all the modes their is this beautiful balance between the strings. There is this evenness in volume and tone. That balance only becomes upset(in a beautiful way) when you engage the volume/bass boost.

I mean what can I say...they've done it again! How many of us have been clamoring for years for a passive stingray...and we got it :) Thanks again Big Poppa and every one at EBMM that made this bass a reality and especially to all the dedicated factory workers and engineers who work tirelessly to make these special instruments a reality.

Last edited:

AjCalderon

I loveeeeee mine so much. Got the Starry Night with the rosewood fretboard but struggled between it and the vintage sunburst with the all maple neck. I couldn’t justify two new 2k+ Basses at the moment but if next year they offer another all maple neck in a color I’m into I’m not going to be able to resist. I’m hoping they do a stealth model ��

GregP

I loveeeeee mine so much. Got the Starry Night with the rosewood fretboard but struggled between it and the vintage sunburst with the all maple neck. I couldn’t justify two new 2k+ Basses at the moment but if next year they offer another all maple neck in a color I’m into I’m not going to be able to resist. I’m hoping they do a stealth model ��

I'm so glad you love yours too. The highs definitely sound sweeter than on a 34" scale bass, imho. Surprisingly, the low end isn't lacking at all... if anything it seems to fill out a little better with a reduced scale length. The notes seem to have more of a "bloom" to them. It seems like I can hear more of the note if that makes any sense. The instrument also seems to be more sensitive to right hand placement as well. I can get some incredibly tubby tones playing on the neck itself. I've heard there are only 300 available this year and it's a limited run instrument. I really hope they bring it into their stable as a standard model.

P.S. I think I read somewhere on the forums that this project was Big Poppa's baby. I'd love to know why he opted to go with a passive set up as he often praises the benefits of an active circuit. Thanks for giving us passive guys love, Big Poppa :)

Big Poppa

well everything at Music Man is a team....but this so happens to be the last instrument that had Dudley Gimpel and Me as principal designers....I couldnt be prouder of this bass. It's icing on Dudley and my design partnership

We sort of did this in the background and we played around with a lot of things the electronics package is so versitile....

Dont tell anyone....(other than the few that got to but the 34" scale with the passive short scale electronics package. The 34' inch scale may see the light of day...its very good too....(but I am biased)

Thank all of you for the kind words.....it's kind of bittersweet with Dudley retired. Happy for him but for many years it was just he and I.

scottbass71

Hi BP,
This is Huge - Dudley Retired!!!
Was there an announcement in the forum any where that I might have missed?
I remember in 2007 meeting Dudley at the Ernie Ball open house a really modest guy.
Good luck with retirement Dudley.

Cheers

Scott

AjCalderon

well everything at Music Man is a team....but this so happens to be the last instrument that had Dudley Gimpel and Me as principal designers....I couldnt be prouder of this bass. It's icing on Dudley and my design partnership

We sort of did this in the background and we played around with a lot of things the electronics package is so versitile....

Dont tell anyone....(other than the few that got to but the 34" scale with the passive short scale electronics package. The 34' inch scale may see the light of day...its very good too....(but I am biased)

Thank all of you for the kind words.....it's kind of bittersweet with Dudley retired. Happy for him but for many years it was just he and I.

Well thank you for designing such an amazing instrument! I love my Starry Night and actually just got done swapping the hardware on it to all black hardware. Had to wait on a custom black control panel to be made for me but it was sooooo worth the wait! It looks AMAZING.

I’m hoping you guys do an ebony option instead of rosewood next year to keep them all unique even if it’ll put me in the dilemma of needing both and being unable to decide again next year.

It was really hard for me to not also grab the vintage sunburst. If the colors for next year don’t speak to me you’ll catch me hunting down a vintage sunburst from someone lol.

+1 for the roasted maple to end up flamed next year :D

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

GregP

Well thank you for designing such an amazing instrument! I love my Starry Night and actually just got done swapping the hardware on it to all black hardware. Had to wait on a custom black control panel to be made for me but it was sooooo worth the wait! It looks AMAZING.

I’m hoping you guys do an ebony option instead of rosewood next year to keep them all unique even if it’ll put me in the dilemma of needing both and being unable to decide again next year.

It was really hard for me to not also grab the vintage sunburst. If the colors for next year don’t speak to me you’ll catch me hunting down a vintage sunburst from someone lol.

+1 for the roasted maple to end up flamed next year :D

I think Ebony would be an amazing option for next year. I opted for the sunburst because well I love the finish but mostly for that roasted maple board. It just has more punch than the rosewood imho. The rosewood is awesome too I just prefer the maple. But Ebony and perhaps even Ebony fretless? #Amazing

GregP

The more I play with this amazing instrument the more I think I found home. :) I have no desire to go back to a 34" scale after this. There is never a moment where I'm feeling "Oh the short scale is causing a lack of bass response" or anything like that. The low end is thick and always present even on the G string. For the kind of sound I like(Throwback R&B/Blues/Jazz) this is literally a win/win no compromise bass. I get all the benefits of short scale with non of the drawbacks. I don't know how they did it but they did it! Oh and I just threw some Thomastik short scale flat wounds on it....amazing! I hope EBMM makes some short scale flat wounds in the future =)

Last edited:

RobertB

Suh weet. As if the short scale option isn't cool enough, it has the series/single/parallel selector like the 5'er, plus the boost. I'm obviously late to the party, I didn't realize that. Way cool.

aguynamedben

@drummonkey I’m new here and new to EBMM, but when I asked support via email about new short scale colors I was told:

“No official announcement for this year's color offerings yet, we plan to announce and launch those in the Fall so stay tuned!”

Do they normally announce colors on their website? How do I make sure I’m notified the day of!? :)

p-Boy

What is the weight of this short scale bass? I looked at the Sterling version of it, nice bass but 8 lbs seems heavy for the size ?

Davyo

Agreed, the short scale is awesome

I have 2 Sterling short scale bass’s and love them but I really need and want a EBMM short scale bass.
Bringing back the Starry Night short scale would be great.
Does Music Man have waited list to get on ?
Or, do you have to keep checking back on the website ?
Thanks in advance for any information.
Cheers, Davyo

brash47

If you need one right now, go onto Reverb where there are 2 very nice Starry Nights available.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom