• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

avenger

I have purchased three packs of Ernie Ball's Extra Slinky (2255). Watched the only youtube video I found about fakes vs legits and the packaging really looks legit.

It is an older model with the front without the eagle, but the back was exactly the same as the video (not sure I can link it here, let me know if I may). Everything looked real authentic to me, including the price I paid here in Brazil. :p

But the three thinner strings, 08 11 and 14 guage, are all rusty.

I have sent [email protected] an email with no response in days after seeing a couple threads here suggesting to do so. I have made a video on showing the unpackaged and installed set, then unpacking the two other sealed packages, all with thinner gauges rusty, with smaller and larger rust points all along the strings. Even staining the packaging.

I have just looked inside one of the packages and I can't see any imprinted code, word, anything, is this a sign of a "good fake"? It has the importer company labels and all, I just can't see how these would be fakes.

So my question would be: does Ernie Ball offers any kind of warranty for "rusty out of packaging" string packs?

I have attempted a replacement from the shop I purchased but just to be sure, the seller opened one of the packages they would send -- indeed updated design, it has the eagle on the front and in the back, no longer has the "battleofthebands" URL, and has a "tone profile" section instead of the "genuine ernie ball" seal.

Just to be clear: the initially received packages had the "genuine ernie ball" seal in the back, and "battleofthebands" mention, and front didn't feature the eagle at top, but a "guitar pick pinching strings" at right.

The difference between the "old" I received and the "new" the shop opened to check is that mines had all 8 11 14 with several rust points across the string, and in theirs, only 11 or 14 displayed a few rust points in just a small section of the string (but a section subject to tension!).

But I can't find anything Ernie Ball formally guarantees or "disclaims guarantee" on those rusty-on-package strings, other than the "Fresh all the time" mentions in the packaging itself.

I will need to post the pics in a next thread throughout the weekend. But I'd love to hear something from Ernie Ball about these rusty strings.

beej

Contacting EB is the right way to go- they're the ones that can help you out. If you don't hear back by early next week, reach out to them again.

StephanL

Hello All,

Livin close to Paris, France.
I face the same trouble with Slinky M-Steel(2921) strings I bought in August. I now open each pack when needed and most string are partially corroded.
As I buy per Internet, it's difficult to have contact with the seller.
Nevertheless I would like to know if the properties of the strings are affected and if EB is aware of this problem.

Shall I contact EB France ?

Thanks a lot

mateyow

Hi I also have this problem I bought six sets of paradigms now from the official dealer here in the philippines listed in their site, sucks because I absolutely love the strings, but I always get rust spots with all the sets I bought and they only last about 2 months for 6-8hrs of use a week on a les paul (so no floyd or trem bar) with graphtech nut and saddle and I just use dunlop flow picks also not heavy handed and I wipe them clean after every use.

Pa3k_fajardo

Hi Ernie Bll,

Good day! Just bought Ernie Ball RPS 9. Installed the set today, and to my surprise, numbers 1, 2 & 3 strings have some rust on them.

Please refer to attached pictures.

Thank you,
Patrick Fajardo

PS.. Haven't opened the other one, cause I bought two sets, hoping it would not be rusty too.

Attachments

• 20210102_201256.jpg
    20210102_201256.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 20210102_201235.jpg
    20210102_201235.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 20210102_201156.jpg
    20210102_201156.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Screenshot_20210102-203516_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210102-203516_Gallery.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 194

Rrfeury

Fix your rusty strings

First off:
Do not install rusty strings onto your guitar. It’s bad for your fingers, the frets,pickups and neck.
If you absolutely need to use the strings you can use a piece of scotch brite and pull the string back and forth thru the scotch brite while applying pressure pinching the string between your fingers and thumb.
I use a product to lubricate my strings.
After removing the rust, spray a good amount of string lube onto a clean cloth and pull it thru the cloth back and forth.
I then use a clean cloth to remove the excess.
I have also done the same thing with my mounted strings from time to time to remove grime a pieces of finger. Lol

Good luck.

Hi Ernie Bll,

Good day! Just bought Ernie Ball RPS 9. Installed the set today, and to my surprise, numbers 1, 2 & 3 strings have some rust on them.

Please refer to attached pictures.

Thank you,
Patrick Fajardo

PS.. Haven't opened the other one, cause I bought two sets, hoping it would not be rusty too.

71guitarsmith

Yeah, I had the same issues with rust on regular slinky strings I purchased from Amazon last year.

They look legit and I really inspected the packaging to find any trace of counterfeiting. I was convinced they had to be fake, however, I can find zero evidence to support my own claim.

The rust made the 3 packages unusable. I notified Amazon of course (I did receive a refund). Maybe they were shipped from a flood zone or a non-climate controlled environment before Amazon obtained them who knows - that is all speculation on my part

I went back to Elixir strings which I love. (but they are horrible for tuning stability)

I am trying by the suggestion of a friend - the Paradigm 9-42s and those do not have any rust issues I think they are just ok strings, feel a bit stiff and like raw metal, as they are not coated that I know of - but those things stay in tune great in comparison to other brands I have used.

Top Bottom