• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

spkirby

So sad... Eddie was the reason I bought my first EBMM.

RIP

xjbebop

Very, very sad. Heartbreaking.
I remember when he won 'guitarist of the year' in Guitar Player magazine, breaking Steve Morse's 5 year run....
He will be missed...

Deepest sympathy to those close to him.....

lifeson1

I know the relationship with EVH and EBMM has been put through the ringer, and none of it needs to be re visited. But, damn if it wasn't the first signature guitar, and marketing of that guitar - which I fell in love with. . . THAT's what got me into EBMM. . . and my tastes and playing style gravitated toward other MM's, but that's where I found love for this brand. And I will always be thankful for that. I, like many other players that grew up in the 80's, am gutted. For the player, the music, the icon of the era. . . I'm broken.

Sending thoughts and prayers to all hid family, friends, colleagues, and fans that are as upset as I am. RIP.

Wahoonc

Dude, this just floored me. Damn. Terrible day for music. And like others, I have EVH to thank for many things, including three of my four guitars being an Axis/ASS. First record I ever owned and I remember listening to it in my bedroom until my parents made me turn it off and go to bed. Really sad day.

edhalen

I know the relationship with EVH and EBMM has been put through the ringer, and none of it needs to be re visited. But, damn if it wasn't the first signature guitar, and marketing of that guitar - which I fell in love with. . . THAT's what got me into EBMM. . . and my tastes and playing style gravitated toward other MM's, but that's where I found love for this brand. And I will always be thankful for that. I, like many other players that grew up in the 80's, am gutted. For the player, the music, the icon of the era. . . I'm broken.

Sending thoughts and prayers to all hid family, friends, colleagues, and fans that are as upset as I am. RIP.

+1

GWDavis28

I came home from golf to this tragic news. The world has lost another one.

Glenn |B)

cbc83

I didn't grow up on Van Halen, far from it, but his influence can not be understated. He was the Hendrix of his generation - he took guitar playing to a whole new level, blew the doors wide open, expanded the scope of what was possible.

I'll be blasting 'Running with the devil' on my way to work today... :(

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I was never a huge EVH fan but his influence on the world around me put me where I am today. Hell, I wouldn't have spent so much of my life on this forum if it wasn't for him!

Thank you for all the joy, and all the inspiration you have given the world, Eddie. Rest in peace.

Jamie M

When I read this last night I actually burst into tears. It was the shock of it not knowing he was even ill. I was a massive fan. He is the sole reason I play guitar and play EBMM. RIP Edward. Thank you for sharing your gift with us all.

Bill S

Terribly sad news, I will never forget VH supporting Black Sabbath at Hammersmith Odeon in 1978, and blowing Sabbath away! I had never seen anything like it, or a guitar played like that. A true innovator.

headcrash

So sad news.

For me too, he was the reason I started playing Music Man, when I finally could afford to.
Sadly I am too young to been able to discover Van Halen in its heyday, but only around '90, when I was 14/15.
I still remember Summer 1991 when F.U.C.K. came out (I had been playing electric guitar only for a year or so, and just got a Chevy LEs Paul copy, I was and still am a huge Slash fan as well), and in the CD booklet there was Eddie with his new EBMM signature guitar. Immediatley I was hooked, although I did not know by then.

But it's not only his flashy soloing style (often like a raging cat, that sometime falls off the roof (mid solo), but always lands on its feet), but the groove and often innovative rhythm playing and riffing, which is as equally as important to me. Not to mention his sound and tone, on which a whole business area built up since the 80s (namely higain amps).

May his legacy be inspiration to many more. Condolences go out to his beloved ones.

dibart77

Sigh...

Yes, Edward is the reason I got my first EBMM guitar, too. Ordered over the phone (no Internet in 1991) from Bill's Music House, sight unseen, when I was 19. And now I have 182 EBMMs (88 of which are EVH/Axis).

I think that, despite the history, EBMM's Facebook post yesterday shows how classy the Ball family are. Sterling, Brian, Scotty and team are just a class act. Thank you guys for acknowledging what the EVH relationship did for EBMM.

Yesterday, my hero left this earth. He's the reason that I play guitar. He gave me something to aspire to, a dream to pursue. I can hold my own, but I never came close to what this man did on the instrument, and I never "made it". But he was still my hero. I own and play his guitars, I have the neck of my 1991 Ernie Ball Music Man EVH guitar tattooed on my left arm. And I'll miss him. But he left so much behind to continue to give me something to aspire to.

Here's Edward Van Halen in his prime. At the height of his powers. He was incredible. Innovative. Brilliant.

Rest in peace, EVH.

Another Noob

Man, I have so many memories where Van Halen is the soundtrack and I hope to make many more. Thank God music lives forever.

Yesterday on Twitter Steve Vai posted up a pic showing an empty pair of EVH sneakers with the caption, "Never to be filled". I couldn't agree more.

Thanks for posting that link. I would have never seen it otherwise.

RIP and Godspeed Mr. Van Halen. Your influence will never be fully defined.

koogie2k

Absolutely terrible. 2020 has been very hard on all of us and it is sad to see EVH pass. RIP sir.

Top Bottom