• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Abyssos666

Hello,

I have bought a white MAJ100X Sterling. I had it pleked by Thomann and perfectly setup. The frets were very uneven so I did not have to pay for the service as it was under warranty. Unfortunately, the G string buzzes horribly on almost all frets. I had a days long discussion with Thomann because of it and they double checked and said that the guitar is set up in the best way possible and they don't know why this is happening. The G string even buzzes with a height of 2mm. The tross rod was adjusted perfectly.

It does not buzz when played open.

We tried different string gauges, different tunings - nada. The G string keeps buzzing like there is no tomorrow.

What could the issue be?

Last edited:

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Does the buzz happen on the 24th fret as bad as the 23rd fret? If yes, it's not the frets and is probably the saddle (as the only thing left). Try swapping the D and G string saddles. If the problem moves or vanishes, problem is solved.

If not, I'd not really care what the answer is. A new guitar or a freshly pleked guitar should not have this issue. If the buzz is obvious to anyone and intrusive while playing music, the guitar is not in satisfactory playing condition under any reasonable definition. If Thomann plek'd as a warranty repair and the result is not good, they still have to fix it. Let them worry about why. This is their problem.

beej

I've had the odd guitar with a buzz that was difficult to dial out - not fret buzz, but a sympathetic resonating elsewhere. The usual advice applies- try a new string, swap saddles, make sure the saddle screws are secure, tighten up all of the bolts/nuts on the guitar, etc.

It can be maddening, but you can usually work out where it's coming from.

Top Bottom