• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Joey Talam

Good morning to all,

I have been searching to date my Musicman Stingray with serial number B027156 and I can't find it everywhere. As far as I can remember, I had purchased it in 1985.

I would appreciate very much for any info.

Many thanks in advance

Cheers from Down Under

Joey

Rod Trussbroken

If it's an Ernie Ball Sting Ray then the serial indicates 1987-88. These serials are not recorded on the Ernie Ball serial data base. You may find a date on the back of the preamp which can give an approx. date of when the instrument was made. Dates are also recorded on the neck heel and in the neck pocket on the body.

liverbird

The B027XXX serials are interesting. As Rod said, they're not recorded in the EBMM database as such. In my experience, instruments with those numbers are usually from 1988, although there may well be some from 1987.

Joel from EBMM Customer Service looked into those for me a while ago. On occasions, leaving out the 'B' prefix and just entering the numerical digits seems to produce a match but it's difficult to say whether 027156 (in your case) relates to B027156 or to an instrument with the serial number 27156 (if that indeed exists.)

Just for fun, I entered 027156 into the online database. It returned a

Sunburst StingRay, DOB May 16th, 1988, rosewood board, 3-band EQ.

Any resemblance to your bass?

Serial Number Database | Ernie Ball Music Man

Last edited:

Rod Trussbroken

The B027XXX serials are interesting. As Rod said, they're not recorded in the EBMM database as such. In my experience, instruments with those numbers are usually from 1988, although there may well be some from 1987.

Joel from EBMM Customer Service looked into those for me a while ago. On occasions, leaving out the 'B' prefix and just entering the numerical digits seems to produce a match but it's difficult to say whether 027156 (in your case) relates to B027156 or to an instrument with the serial number 27156 (if that indeed exists.)

Just for fun, I entered 027156 into the online database. It returned a

Sunburst StingRay, DOB May 16th, 1988, rosewood board, 3-band EQ.

Any resemblance to your bass?

Serial Number Database | Ernie Ball Music Man

Actually, omitting the "B" does seem to work. I submitted about eight and the descriptions matched. May be too many to be a coincidence. Of course, "B" serial instruments from 1984 to the end of 1986 wont be there as the data base started Jan 1987.

Last edited:

liverbird

Actually, omitting the "B" does seem to work. I submitted about eight and the descriptions matched. May be too many to be a coincidence. Of course, "B" serial instruments from 1984 to the end of 1986 wont be there as the data base started Jan 1987.

Yes, could be.

Joel also told me that they had to enter a '0' in front of a five digit number in order to bring it up in their database. (That conversation was before the introduction of the online database - either way seems to work there.) So it's unclear whether 027XXX would relate to 27XXX (five digit serial) or B027XXX.

Top Bottom