• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

kingdoublecut

Anyone have any info on this run of Albert Lee guitars for Guitar Center? Quantity, colors, options, etc...? I just picked a 09/12/2012 AL in Turquoise Pearl with RW neck and pull-tone coil tap in near mint condition. Didn't come with the OHC unfortunately.

ALBERT LEE 2.jpg

Magic Jason

All I can say is that this GC run has the coil split on the tone knob, and it was a GREAT addition.
Easy to recognize thanks to the chrome (instead of stratalike) knobs.
Hope you'll like yours as much as I like mine.

121069137_10158641704913058_5258994965692239474_o (2).jpg

Last edited:

xjbebop

Congrats! You've scored about the best gittar on the planet, in about the best finish they were offered in...

0doBUwH.jpg

You've got most of the details already. I think there were 5 finishes (Turquoise Pearl, Trans Walnut, a gold, black & white version also...)??

zWehorm.jpg

Now you need to search out the real unicorn... the GC AL MM90! Instead of the standard ash body/maple neck, the GC version has a mahogany body/rosewood neck combo that really makes the MM90's super sweet!

xzPCYQ7.jpg

kingdoublecut

Great info - thanks! This is the second AL with RW neck I have owned, and it is an amazing guitar. I actually bought the neck and body separately from the same guy about three weeks apart. He had put the neck on his SSS AL but apparently didn't like it.

GWDavis28

Candy red was another color if memory serves me right.

I love my AL HH, it does not have the coil split, but it has been something I've been thinking about recently.

Glenn |B)

Magic Jason

Candy red was another color if memory serves me right.

I love my AL HH, it does not have the coil split, but it has been something I've been thinking about recently.

Glenn |B)

Mine was originally candy apple red indeed.
You should try the mod. Easy, inexpensive, fully reversible!

bovinehost

Administrator
I've been trying to get an AL w/rosewood, trem, and HH for months. This thread makes me sad.

But I did just buy a Stingray guitar so I'm not going to be sad very much, really.

But man, an AL would have been awesome.

GWDavis28

I've been trying to get an AL w/rosewood, trem, and HH for months. This thread makes me sad.

But I did just buy a Stingray guitar so I'm not going to be sad very much, really.

Jack, he's got that listed on Reverb right now, it's not super cheap. The GC specials are nice with the split coils, but you can do that yourself.

PM me if you need some help locating one.

Glenn |B)

xjbebop

I'd say be patient and keep looking.
I just checked reverb and I can't believe the stupid asking high prices! I very much doubt any of them will sell until they drop under the 1500 mark... *except for the few recent limited edition models...

kingdoublecut

It would seem your logic suggests that the original price for a new one at $2400 is also stupid. People buy the new ones. They're worth what you are willing to pay for them. I just paid full original retail ($200) for a Silo3 SUB in excellent condition with a much upgraded gig bag and locking tuners...was that stupid? I say no because we know they're very good guitars for the money and I gig with them, alternating between my MM Silhouette (for which I paid $980) and several other MMs I have since sold.

Why did I sell them? Because I can't see spending $1500 - $2500 on guitar that's going to get worked hard on the bar circuit here in SWFL. I play 7-10 gigs/month. Also the reason I'm selling the GC AL HH.

Magic Jason

You do not have to justify the reason you're selling. Whatever you see fit for you. :)

I understand that you wouldn't like a great axe to take a beating. Neither would most of us!

On the other hand if I played 10 gigs a month, I'd sacrify one of my axes for the beating and always have a great guitar in hands.

I've owned a Silo 3. It was a good guitar and I really liked it... on a carnival float. But it ain't the real deal.

I also very recently tried the Sterling AL. The guitar (especially the body) was gorgeous. The neck was a bit flatter than the original but smooth with pleasant frets. The pick-ups were ok too.

But I couldn't believe how "richer" the real MM sounded. And I swear I'm not being snobish : there was a huge difference.

Last edited:

bovinehost

Administrator
Jack, he's got that listed on Reverb right now, it's not super cheap. The GC specials are nice with the split coils, but you can do that yourself.

PM me if you need some help locating one.

Glenn |B)

Hey Glenn, thanks but I've blown my guitar money on the Stingray.

kingdoublecut

You do not have to justify the reason you're selling. Whatever you see fit for you. :)

I understand that you wouldn't like a great axe to take a beating. Neither would most of us!

On the other hand if I played 10 gigs a month, I'd sacrify one of my axes for the beating and always have a great guitar in hands.

I've owned a Silo 3. It was a good guitar and I really liked it... on a carnival float. But it ain't the real deal.

I also very recently tried the Sterling AL. The guitar (especially the body) was gorgeous. The neck was a bit flatter than the original but smooth with pleasant frets. The pick-ups were ok too.

But I couldn't believe how "richer" the real MM sounded. And I swear I'm not being snobish : there was a huge difference.

Agreed on the richness of sound. Both my MM AL and MM Silhouette have amazing tone which I have to give props to the Dimarzio pickups they sport. The Virtual PAFs in the Silhouette and the "EVH" pups in the AL have superior characteristic to any other pickups I have used in 45 years of playing. The rosewood neck on the AL is my all time favorite neck as well. I have upgraded all of my Sterlings with Schaller locking tuners, Dimarzio pups and Graphtech TUSQ or Tone Ninja bone nuts and as the tools that they are they get the job done. The MM Silhouette will be my keeper for the #1 spot and I am going to keep the Silo3 SUB (yet to be upgraded) and my 2017 LK100D as my alternates. The other 4 guitars I own are going on Reverb. I MAY find it in my heart to keep my SbMM AL as it was my intro to EBMM/SbMM guitars.

Top Bottom