• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

mikeller

One of my guitars is more difficult to play in the upper registers.

I took some measurements today comparing to a few others etc. For the most part my string height is about the same at fret 22 as it is at fret 12. This one guitar (my Silo Spec) - the strings are all around 1/64" higher (measuring bottom of string to top at fret) on fret 22 than on fret 12 confirming what I am feeling.

Is that any indication of a neck angle problem? Or other neck problem?

Thank you for your time

mikeller

As always. thank you DrKev. Actually, the strings could be closer to the neck up there. I always thought relief effected mainly frets below 12. I think I will add a little relief and see if that helps.

xjbebop

Remember that truss rod adjustments effect first to 12th fret area (approx.), bridge/saddle height adjust from the 12th on down... trick is to get the right balance between the two...

mikeller

Thank you. I normally set my own guitars up to the point of them needing nut of fretwork etc. This one gives me fits. I tried adding more (a quarter turn) relief and the string height increased (instead of decreased) on both the 12th & 22nd fret, proportionally with the 22nd fret still be more by 1/64 than the 12th fret.

mikeller

You might need to consider shimming the neck.

I think that was my concern. Saddle height is good and all, but there is a 1/64" different in string height from fret 12 to fret 22. That the relief looks really spot on viewing it with an 18" straight edge, as checking with a feeler gauge. Thank you

Top Bottom