• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Timetraveller

Hi all,

Can anyone spare me a shilling of wisdom...

I've just put some super slinky 9 gauge on and and they're really nice. I've just got a small, really small buzz, well a high pitch on release of the high e, its really feint but I notice it especially practising my scales.

There's no fret buzz, the action is low but not too low. Little relief and no buzz low e or anywhere else, just literally as my finger moves off the high e there's this weird little high pitch sound.

Could it be the pickups, I like those pretty low so I don't think it could be too close...

I'm.pretty stumped, any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Stephen

Have you tried picking the e-string and then muting the bit between nut and tuning machine?

Depending on the nut (and for what string gauge it is filed) gently pressing the string down behind the nut can help.

I have had this "sitar" effect on a new bone nut. Here a few gentle file strokes to steepen the ramp solved the issue.

Timetraveller

Have you tried picking the e-string and then muting the bit between nut and tuning machine?

Depending on the nut (and for what string gauge it is filed) gently pressing the string down behind the nut can help.

I have had this "sitar" effect on a new bone nut. Here a few gentle file strokes to steepen the ramp solved the issue.

Okay, I tried out what you said and it eliminated the little buzz, ringing sound and on closer inspection I noticed my string tree needed a slight tightening. Did that and its all good now. Thanks for the advice, it got me to where the problem was.

Stephen

Okay, I tried out what you said and it eliminated the little buzz, ringing sound and on closer inspection I noticed my string tree needed a slight tightening. Did that and its all good now. Thanks for the advice, it got me to where the problem was.

Good to hear and thanks for the feedback! :)

It's always nice to find solutions to gear problems. Your answer will be helpful to another player, if they google the problem.

Top Bottom