• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

hemmelight

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, but already like the vibe of the place. :)
Apologies if this question has been discussed in the past, I couldn't quite find the right info when searching the forum.

I've had a 2017 Cutlass (SSS, non-roasted) for a few years and it's a stunning guitar.
The new Sabre is very compelling, but my only concern is the neck shape / profile. It's surprisingly difficult to find much information on this.

Some people online have mentioned that it's thinner than they expected, so I'm wondering how it would compare to the Cutlass' neck? I'm not a fan of mega thin and flat necks (like on the JP models), but I love my Cutlass' neck feel.

Can anyone share any comments on what to expect with the Sabre? I'd love to play one in person, but the nearest dealer is over 3 hours' drive away. :D

jmmp

It’s much closer to a JP in terms of thick/thinness than a Cutlass. The shape is closer to the Cutlass on the upper frets, no hint of a V on the Sabre. I find the shape comfortable, even compared to my JP6 which I sometimes feel is too thin on the edges. If you’re hoping it’s a dual humbucker Cutlass, it’s close, but not exact. Additionally, the thickness of the heel joint+ thickness of the neck at the body is slightly deeper than a Cutlass (which may or may not matter to you).

As far as comfort goes, also realize there isn’t an arm contour like the Cutlass or Stingray, but the slightly arched/angled top helps with forearm comfort.

hemmelight

Thanks so much for sharing those details!
This is super helpful.

I'll do some looking around and hopefully find some more local options to try - though I suppose most shops have a return policy for a reason. ;)

Last edited:

jmmp

Also note the Sabre neck is wider at the nut (1 11/16") than the Cutlass (1 5/8"). The wider nut width is regarded as the Gibson nut width and is the standard width on the Petrucci guitars too.

I was a big believer in that being the reason I would dislike the Sabre, but honestly I didn’t notice that at all, and I’m someone who prefers the 1 5/8” nut width.

hemmelight

Interesting, thanks for the heads up!

I also play a Les Paul so I don't think the nut width would be an issue for me - I'm more curious about the neck shape itself.

I used to play Ibanez RGs, but after owning some different guitars over the years I realised that I don't really like flat D-shaped 'shredder' necks much.

Last edited:

Astrofreq

I have a Cutlass that I swear by, but I played a Sabre at the NAMM show and instantly felt comfortable with it. Don’t worry about it one second. :)

Top Bottom