• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

MMStingray

Hello everyone.
I own a MM Stingray 5 from 2018 (a HH configuration) and I face since day one a problem of excessive fret buzz, especially the low B string.
I already showed my bass to a luthier who corrected the fret work which wasn't that perfect in the first place.
I set up my instrument myself. I've checked the neck relief, and it's ok. My action is:

G: around 2mm
D: Also 2mm
A: 2.25mm
E (that's where it begins to buzz), I have to raise the string to 2.75 to get rid of most of buzz (but not completely)
And the real problem, the B string: it's already at 3mm and it buzz like crazy on frets 3 to...well till the end of the neck but especially on fret 6, 7, 8, 9.
The buzz actually happens when I let the string ring out. If I play really short notes, there is no buzz.

I really don't know what to do since, to me, the action is already high and it doesn't seem to go away even if I raise the B string higher.

Can you give me some advices?

danny-79

I’ll second pickup height especially on a HH model. If took me a while to figure mine out.
I was getting a buzz but only in certain spots. I’m guessing other forces are at play but lowering the neck pickup really helps

tbonesullivan

How are you playing the strings? I have found that some people tend to play the B string differently, and if you make it oscillate in a more up/down directly, you will get more buzz. In general, it is going to get more buzz than the other strings just due to the size. It also has a lot more surface area, so it's easier to pluck it really hard.

MMStingray

Ok, I first tried to lower the neck pickup but it didn't change anything. I even lowered it a lot and there's no buzz change on the bass.

I use a 45 - 130 string set.
The thing is, I own another 5 string bass (not a MM stingray) and I can pluck the 5th string as hard as I want it doesn't produce any buzz at all.
On the stingray, I'm now used to play (with my finger) the E and B string softer cause I know it will produce an horrible sound... That's really really sad.
I can't even set the B string the height the FAQ recommand, it's already higher and it doesn't seem to stop even at higher height.

As I said before, I brought the bass to a guitar tech who made a complete fret leveling already and he told me 2 things:

- it seems that this bass cannot be played at low action
- The buzz is probably a cause of the stainless steel frets.

I really don't know what to do cause since I now own another 5 string bass, there is a world of difference between the 2 (and the stingray is by far the most expensive...)

Golem

Seems like twisted strings to me. Sometimes you can undo that but sometimes you hafta replace them.

Top Bottom