• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

roburado

Hi, folks. I haven't posted here very much in the past several years. I haven't really spent much time playing guitar for the same time period. I haven't spent much time looking at where and how forum members sell their guitars lately.

In the past, the for-sale thread was seemingly full of guitars. I'm thinking of selling some guitars. EBMMs comprise the majority of my collection. For those of you who have sold guitars lately, how have you done it? On the forum? Reverb? EBay? Local listings like Facebook, Craigslist, etc.?

Basically, I'm looking at all these guitars that don't get played, and I'm thinking they need to have a home where they're going to get the playing they deserve.

Sweat

Well I hate Ebay and Reverb as a seller, if something goes wrong buyer seems to always win and you get screwed, not to mention the fees.

I have just been using the EBMM forum or The Gear Page, my backup is selling directly to GC or Sam Ash

Hope this helps.

Johnny Alien

Reverb raised their fees so they now take a bigger cut than Ebay. I try the forums but generally they just sit unsold there. Ebay usually works the best for me as far as the quickest sale with the highest price. It's not a perfect place to sale but it works.

roburado

Well I hate Ebay and Reverb as a seller, if something goes wrong buyer seems to always win and you get screwed, not to mention the fees.

I have just been using the EBMM forum or The Gear Page, my backup is selling directly to GC or Sam Ash

Hope this helps.

Thanks. I might go down to the GC down the street.

roburado

Reverb raised their fees so they now take a bigger cut than Ebay. I try the forums but generally they just sit unsold there. Ebay usually works the best for me as far as the quickest sale with the highest price. It's not a perfect place to sale but it works.

Did EBay in the past to sell a few things, a Taylor, a couple other little things. Bought a couple of things there. Good to know that Reverb is a more expensive place. Maybe, I'll avoid it.

beej

My preference is usually to sell locally, which works in a big city. But when I have unusual or interesting guitars (as a lot of yours are), I tend to post them here- it's an audience that's more receptive. TGP can be decent too, depending (though I always find there a lot of tire kickers there).

Regardless, figure out what you want for them and sit tight. They'll eventually sell.

GWDavis28

Hey Rob, long time no see, hope things are going well. Can't hurt to post here, there are a lot of lurkers and they might be interested. I've done both Ebay and Reverb in the past, never had any issue, must have been super lucky.

Good luck with the sales. Let's see what you've got in the For Sale thread.

Glenn |B)

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
In selling directly to stores, my experience (on both sides of the store counter) is that a store will offer you 50% of what they can sell it for. And they will rarely if ever like giving out cash, their job is to move stock out and bring money in. Bear that in mind when deciding where to sell.

tj1

I have never sold a guitar to a private non trade buyer.

But I have bought quite a few guitars from private sellers. And, personally I would never,ever buy a high value guitar from a private individual, unseen, without trying it out first. I think my atitude might be quite representative.

I don't know how you could factor this in if you live in a remote area. Maybe try to sell your EBMMs, as a lot, to a collector, of which I have seen on spectacular example recently on this forum. Or try to locate some EBMM event that might be worth travelling to if you can establish there might be multiple buying interest.

roburado

My preference is usually to sell locally, which works in a big city. But when I have unusual or interesting guitars (as a lot of yours are), I tend to post them here- it's an audience that's more receptive. TGP can be decent too, depending (though I always find there a lot of tire kickers there).

Regardless, figure out what you want for them and sit tight. They'll eventually sell.

Thanks, beej. My first choice is to try to sell here first, for sure. Glad to hear it seems like a viable option still.

roburado

Hey Rob, long time no see, hope things are going well. Can't hurt to post here, there are a lot of lurkers and they might be interested. I've done both Ebay and Reverb in the past, never had any issue, must have been super lucky.

Good luck with the sales. Let's see what you've got in the For Sale thread.

Glenn |B)

Thanks, Glenn. We're well. Thanks. Hope all is well with you and yours. When I figure out where I want to start with thinning the herd, I'll probably start here like we used to do back in the day.

Sweat

True that stores offers can be low, but you also save on fees and shipping costs and the worry that comes with shipping.

I found that Sam Ash offers were better than GC. I sold four items to Sam Ash before I moved to Vegas and got almost all I would have if I sold directly on a forum and definitely more than Ebay would have netted.

In selling directly to stores, my experience (on both sides of the store counter) is that a store will offer you 50% of what they can sell it for. And they will rarely if ever like giving out cash, their job is to move stock out and bring money in. Bear that in mind when deciding where to sell.

I avoid selling directly to shops, simply because you’ll be giving away your guitars for next to nothing (unless you’re consigning). Craigslist is a joke in the Bay Area...no one is serious about doing business (YMMV). If you’re not in a rush to move these, start here, since it’s already a target audience. Good Luck!

GWDavis28

Thanks, Glenn. We're well. Thanks. Hope all is well with you and yours. When I figure out where I want to start with thinning the herd, I'll probably start here like we used to do back in the day.

Glad to hear that Rob!! Yes all are fine. How any are you looking to move? How any you going to keep? Looking at your sig there are quite a few?

Glenn |B)

roburado

I avoid selling directly to shops, simply because you’ll be giving away your guitars for next to nothing (unless you’re consigning). Craigslist is a joke in the Bay Area...no one is serious about doing business (YMMV). If you’re not in a rush to move these, start here, since it’s already a target audience. Good Luck!

I'm definitely not in a rush.

roburado

Glad to hear that Rob!! Yes all are fine. How any are you looking to move? How any you going to keep? Looking at your sig there are quite a few?

Glenn |B)

Glad to hear y'all are well.

Not sure how many I am planning to sell. Could be anywhere from one or two to nearly half the collection. Early contenders are my Dargie 2 Silo Gold Roller, the Black Sugar Luke, the Armada, and maybe the Darklord. Maybe more. Could be anywhere from one or two to up to the vast majority of the collection. The only guitar that's definitely not going anywhere is my 2012 PDN Y2D, which I played at our wedding. Part of my motivation is a move to maybe downsize. Part of it is maybe to finance a Purple Nebula. Who knows? We'll see.

Last edited:

Razzle

Yup, as said above, I used to sell on Reverb but they raise their fees, so it's back to ebay.

If there's a dispute though, the buyer will always win. But it never comes to that for honest folks. Just declare everything about the guitar and you'll be fine on fleabay.

roburado

Yeah. I was afraid of that.

roburado

Yup, as said above, I used to sell on Reverb but they raise their fees, so it's back to ebay.

If there's a dispute though, the buyer will always win. But it never comes to that for honest folks. Just declare everything about the guitar and you'll be fine on fleabay.

For sure, I'll be upfront about things.

Top Bottom