• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

wired

East Freetown, Massachusetts, United States
Definitely wasn’t planning on Sabre #3, but hey, things happen :). The Sabres have replaced my 3 JP models (13,15,16). I never thought I’d be replacing the JP’s, but these just fit me better. Big thank you to Pete DuBaldo for facilitating my EBMM addiction.

Sweat

Damn, that is awesome, must really have floated your boat :) Man going to have to find one to try Congrats on tres hombres!

jlf599

Wow. That's really gorgeous. I need to try a Sabre. Or maybe I shouldn't. :)

cbc83

She's a looker! As a JP player, I'm curious to hear what you prefer about the Sabres? I haven't really looked at them since they're impossible to find here.

wired

She's a looker! As a JP player, I'm curious to hear what you prefer about the Sabres? I haven't really looked at them since they're impossible to find here.

The neck on the sabre is more comfortable for me, a little more depth & the 10" fretboard radius is much more comfortable for me. I was not a big fan of the pickups in the JPs I had (illuminators in the 13 & 15, sonic ecstasies in the 16), a little too hot for me. The Sabre pickups blew me away. They have plenty of output, but they're very dynamic & balanced, and they clean up so well with my amps. The JPs are outstanding guitars though, and I will miss the JP tremolo, which is my favorite trem on any guitar.

wannarock8

The Cobra burst finish is my favorite color on the Sabre. The black hardware really looks great with it.
Congrats!
I contemplated a used JP15 that came up at a shop I've dealt with before, but after hearing a few demoes, I wasn't sure the Illuminators were my thing either. Plus I know I'd never use a +20db boost on a guitar that already has hot pickups. I'm more of a simple, passive electronics kind of player.

edhalen

Congrats!!! At this point it'd he a shame if you didn't get the 4th one to complete the set.....:D:D:D

wired

So which Sabre do you like the best?

They're really consistent, no distinguishable differences in feel or sound. The Cobra's the last one in, so it's been getting the most use over the past few days. As far as looks, it's a toss up between the blue & cobra bursts. I love the top on the honey burst, but the neck is pretty plain. I'm looking forward to what other finishes they might do in the future. I never thought EBMM would have a model I liked as much as my EVH/Axis guitars, but the Sabre is up there for me right now.

guitarheadhunt

I own a bujee burst. I don’t know if I spelled that right. I too like it a lot better than my JP12. I like the neck better. I also think the crunch lab is too hot. The only thing I don’t like about the Sabre is the output of the pickups. They sound great but the output is very low on mine. In comparison they output less than my Luke 3. As well as my silhouettes that I have loaded with the transition pickups. I would say their output is on par with the humbucker that came stock in my silo special. Very low output. If I plug my guitar straight into my Apollo interface it barely registers. I have to turn up the input on my interface about 15 db to equal that of the input I get from my Luke 3. I do like the way they sound and respond. Very dynamic. I just wish they were a little hotter. They output so low if I am playing an amp sim with a gate the gate will keep the notes from ringing out. My other guitars don’t do that. I do like the Sabre better than my other Musicmans. I own 2 silos, a Luke 3 tumescent and a Jp 12. My Luke comes in 2nd. Thinking about selling the jp12.
The Sabre is a great guitar and one of my favorite necks I have played on any music man guitar to date. Just wish pickups were a bit hotter. Starting to wonder if something is not right with mine. Seeing how you say yours have plenty of output.

wired

I own a bujee burst. I don’t know if I spelled that right. I too like it a lot better than my JP12. I like the neck better. I also think the crunch lab is too hot. The only thing I don’t like about the Sabre is the output of the pickups. They sound great but the output is very low on mine. In comparison they output less than my Luke 3. As well as my silhouettes that I have loaded with the transition pickups. I would say their output is on par with the humbucker that came stock in my silo special. Very low output. If I plug my guitar straight into my Apollo interface it barely registers. I have to turn up the input on my interface about 15 db to equal that of the input I get from my Luke 3. I do like the way they sound and respond. Very dynamic. I just wish they were a little hotter. They output so low if I am playing an amp sim with a gate the gate will keep the notes from ringing out. My other guitars don’t do that. I do like the Sabre better than my other Musicmans. I own 2 silos, a Luke 3 tumescent and a Jp 12. My Luke comes in 2nd. Thinking about selling the jp12.
The Sabre is a great guitar and one of my favorite necks I have played on any music man guitar to date. Just wish pickups were a bit hotter. Starting to wonder if something is not right with mine. Seeing how you say yours have plenty of output.

I wonder if something's wrong with your Sabre pickups? I owned an L3 with DiMarzio transitions & I don't find the Sabre pickups to be much lower output than those. Definitely lower than the JP Illuminators, but they're definitely not low output, more medium-to-high. In comparison, they're hotter than the HB in my Cutlass, which to me is more vintage voiced low-to-medium output.

Top Bottom