• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
I have wanted an EB/MM JP model since the first ones came out back when I was in high school 20 years ago. It felt impossible that I would ever get one back then, but a lot of things have changed and now I'm finally in a place in life where I can afford one! How incredibly lucky I am. But this has become a more complicated problem nowadays. If I would have been able to afford one back then, it would have been the JP6, Mystic Dream w/ Piezo bridge, because that was the absolute top tier. I used to play it at guitar center, drool, and then go home sad that I couldn't afford it, but now that I'm finally able to, there are more options available:

- JP6 w/ Piezo, Mystic Dream finish - The classic that I always wanted. I had the knock-off OLP version back in the day and I've yet to play a more comfortable guitar body. That little forearm scoop is magical. I see on Sweetwater that they claim that they could get their hands on one of these for me if I requested it (can anyone here confirm that? I see there's one on sale in the vault but it lacks the piezo system which is a must-have for such a pricy guitar IMO).

- JP 13 in Mystic Dream from the vault - I see that there are a few of these available in the EB/MM Vault store produced in a limited run in Mystic Dream! Incredible, and I see also that it has some similar features to the majesty re: onboard gain boost and pickup splitting. It doesn't have that forearm scoop that the JP6 has but it does appear to at least be tapered, so is it a similar feel? It seems to me also that this one got quickly overshadowed by the JP15, are there any major differences?

- JP Majesty - What else can be said about it, we all know it's a work of art. I'm sure I would not be disappointed in this guitar, it's just different than the other 2 and AFAIK not available in the Mystic Dream finish that I love so much. I've seen some pics of the Arctic Dream version but I can't find it for sale anywhere other than ebay, which I don't particularly trust for a boutique guitar purchase.

What I want to know is: for a player like me (decidedly average- I can hang in there but I don't have any illusions about being able to shred like JP), are the gain boost/pickup splitting options in the JP13/Majesty going to make a big difference for me? What are the differences between the two models other than body shape? It sounds like they offer more or less the exact same features. Or would I be best off going with the classic JP6 I always wanted back in the day and skip the JP13/Majesty altogether?

Lax

I don't feel the difference with or without the scoop.
If the pickups don't matter and the jp6 has nickel frets...
I would really advise you to get the vault's jp13 in mystic dream, you'll just be set for decades :)
You're lucky I wish I could buy the neon pink majesty there !

johnnyboogie

Ι recommend you buy the one you like the most aesthetically.

Should you order a brand-new JP6, you'll get SS frets and matte black hardware (super cool as far as I am concerned).

GAIN BOOST: Can be used as an overdrive pedal on clean sounds (cool feature undoubtedly). When used with high-gain sounds I'll go out on a limb and say it's something you can certainly do without. All JP models with the active pre-amp need batteries in order to function, keep that in mind.

SPLIT-COIL: This feature applies only in the middle position. You can always set-up your JP6 in order to split the coils and not just the middle position. This is a very easy modification, so no worries on that front.

Hmm, constantly needing fresh batteries could get a bit brutal. For the JP6, it's only the piezo that requires batteries right? The magnetics don't use an active circuit, correct?

johnnyboogie

Hmm, constantly needing fresh batteries could get a bit brutal. For the JP6, it's only the piezo that requires batteries right? The magnetics don't use an active circuit, correct?

Correct!! Battery will be consumed only when plugged into the piezo jack.

Same goes for the JP BFR (niw known as JP Maple Top), JPXI, JP12.

johnnyboogie

Still thinking about this. Is there a large difference in quality between the JP13's Illuminator pickups vs the JP6's Crunchlab/Liquifier? Obviously the Illuminators are newer but that doesn't always necessarily mean "better".

johnnyboogie

Still thinking about this. Is there a large difference in quality between the JP13's Illuminator pickups vs the JP6's Crunchlab/Liquifier? Obviously the Illuminators are newer but that doesn't always necessarily mean "better".

In one word: brighter

If you're more into the 'brown sound', the CL/LF set is more appropriate.

The_Logod

Hah, you're in the same place I am. Always dreamed of a JP6 in Mystic Dream and never in my wildest dreams believed that I'd own one some day. I finally ordered mine last February and there's still no sign of it being delivered anytime soon. So be aware of a possibly very long wait if you order something that EBMM has to build first.

But I agree with the others - go for the one your heart chose - it now even comes with matte black hardware and stainless steel frets which is a plus to the older standard models (so it's a decision of preference, less of specs).

Another question- so the JP13 and up have the active pre-amp, which requires a battery. I take it that the battery only drains while the guitar is plugged in? Or does it have an on/off switch of sorts?

Hah, you're in the same place I am. Always dreamed of a JP6 in Mystic Dream and never in my wildest dreams believed that I'd own one some day. I finally ordered mine last February and there's still no sign of it being delivered anytime soon. So be aware of a possibly very long wait if you order something that EBMM has to build first.

But I agree with the others - go for the one your heart chose - it now even comes with matte black hardware and stainless steel frets which is a plus to the older standard models (so it's a decision of preference, less of specs).

Ordered last FEBRUARY and still haven't gotten?? Did you go through Sweetwater?!

The_Logod

Haha, nah, I live in Europe and wait time was projected to be 4-6 months. Due to Covid and consequently reduced production capacities at EBMM my order is just super delayed.

cbc83

I own a 2005 JP6 and one of the early JPXIs. The main differences, as I see it, are the SS frets and finished neck. The JP13 you're looking at has the finished neck as well. It's not a big deal, EBMM knows how to make a slick, fast playing neck, but that gun-oil, bare neck on the JP6 is wonderful. I do, almost exclusively, play the JPXI, mainly because of the frets, the ebony fretboard and simply because the old JP6 has a small defect in one of the piezo transducers.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with either, especially since it sounds like you'll be buying new. The old JPs are great guitars, but stainless steel frets really elevates the guitar - so smooth!

(FYI, I was in exactly your situation - dreamed of a JP since high school when I first saw Live Scenes from New York. Found the 2005 JP at a ridiculous price a few years ago and sold my old Parker Fly to finance the JPXI. Probably never going to play another guitar again.)

Top Bottom