• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan
Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimBob

Would it be too much to ask to have the Cutlass bridge cover plate made of brass so the chrome won't flake off? Chrome will not stick very long to just steel - it flakes off. I love my Cutlass but was hoping it would stay pretty a lot longer. If future cover plates are ever made with chrome plated brass I'd like to buy one - thanks.

GWDavis28

Would it be too much to ask to have the Cutlass bridge cover plate made of brass so the chrome won't flake off? Chrome will not stick very long to just steel - it flakes off. I love my Cutlass but was hoping it would stay pretty a lot longer. If future cover plates are ever made with chrome plated brass I'd like to buy one - thanks.

So the cost of brass is more, so it would drive up the price I would think. Have you contact CS about this issue? If not, shoot them an email and include pictures and see what they have to say.

Glenn |B)

SlimBob

I don't expect them to just give me new parts 2 years into owning it but it is a pet peeve of mine when anything is chrome plated over steel. They will have this issue on all the cover plates eventually if people actually play them - some sooner than others. I guess when it gets bad I'll just remove it like the ashtray on a Tele. I've never owned a Tele so does anyone know if the ashtray is brass with chrome or steel with chrome??

tbonesullivan

Pretty sure that plenty of people are "actually playing" the guitars with the new bridge design, and I have yet to see an epidemic of covers with massive wear through the chrome.

It's possible that the cover you received was not prepped correctly before the plating. Some people also have more acidic sweat than others, which exploit any weakness in the plating more rapidly.

GWDavis28

Give them a chance to fix it, things happen, finish issues happen. Give customer service either an email or a phone call with a few pictures they might help you out, you never know.

Glenn |B)

TripHazard

I know there was a batch of black chrome that had this problem on the Majesty line, but hadn't;t heard of it on the normal chrome. hopefully they will help you out

SlimBob

I know there was a batch of black chrome that had this problem on the Majesty line, but hadn't;t heard of it on the normal chrome. hopefully they will help you out
Hmmm. Not familiar with "black chrome" but if it's anything like regular chrome it won't stick to steel for long either. Not much can be done about this until they choose to upgrade that part to brass. I'll just take it off when it starts to look bad or it cuts me (ever been cut by a piece of flaked off chrome?)

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
if it's anything like regular chrome it won't stick to steel for long either. Not much can be done about this until they choose to upgrade that part to brass.

STOP suggesting that everyone will have an issue with the platings on their instruments. That is simply not true.

Chrome plating has been done since the 1920s, that's just about 100 years now. Any metallic surface can reliably chrome plated (or nickel plated for that matter) including both stainless and carbon steels. Every instrument manufacturer who makes their own parts have been using chrome platings for a long time. If there was a major issue with the use of those platings on particular metals nobody would use them. If there was a systematic issue with chrome platings on EBMM instruments everyone here on the forum would have known about it too!

There was an brief issue with matt black coatings on small number of batches of parts from one of the coating companies EBMM uses. The issue was quickly identified and fixed and only affected a small number of instruments for a short period of time. And that is instructive here - if there was a systematic issue with chrome platings on EBMM instruments or we'd have all known about it a long time ago.

Also, I think the cover on the Cutlass is aluminium.

If you personally have a problem with the chrome plating on your instrument please pick up the telephone, talk to customer service, send them photos. Help them identify and diagnose the problem and let them help you. If you are having problems getting in touch with customer service PM me and let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom