• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Matija

Hi Team,
I'm the owner of my brand new guitar Musicman Majesty 2019.
Yesterday i had to change strings as is been a month since i have it and almost non stop playing, so you can imagine, the strings were rusty.
I'm used to play with the 0.9. My guess is that the strings came from the factory with the 0.10 installed.
I was not aware of how it works with the floating bridge (yes, i discovered only after taking of all the strings at once that the bridge was sinking).. Anyway, put on the new strings, tuned it but the bridge is still sinking a little bit.
I read from this forum after that, how to change the strings without loosing the settings of the bridge and keep it even to the body.
But in this case was already to late.
After finding a few answers on this forum (release the screws on the back for 1/4 of turn-> tune and repeat until the bridge is aligned) I had to do this for 5 times.. Now the bridge is even.

Is it normal i had to do so, only cause the strings are slightly different sized? It doesn't change my action?
If i knew before the trick of inserting a cloth or a peace of paper so that the bridge wouldn't sink while removing all the strings and replacing with the new 0.9, would i have to change the settings on the bridge as i did?

Thanks a lot for your answers guys. I'm feeling so confused about it.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
Welcome to the forum!

When you change string gauge the string tension changes. Because the bridge position is due to a balance between the string tension and the tremolo springs, the big screws will be need to be reset. This is jus basic physics and cannot be avoided. The neck relief might also change a little which could require a truss rod adjustment (or not). But once the bridge is level again the action should be about the same as before.

Welcome to the world of floating tremolo guitars! Yes, it is initially a challenge to get it right and figure it all out but you passed your first test with flying colors! Well done!

Bungo

If i knew before the trick of inserting a cloth or a peace of paper so that the bridge wouldn't sink while removing all the strings

Hi there

I've been using one of these to hold floating bridges in place when changing strings for years. Rubber so won't harm the finish and ALWAYS the right size as you push it in the gap until it stops. Hope this is useful.

Grey door wedge.jpg

Matija

Thanks for the welcoming guys.
I really appreciate your answers which i found them really useful.
The guitar i playing beautifully again, i don't think i need for a truss rod.. I hope.. Otherwise i can take it to the luthier to give it a check. What you recon?

fbecir

Hello

Truss rod adjustment is easy. Don't be afraid, with the Music Man system, it is so easy. Just watch this video :

Good luck

Top Bottom