• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

rick lee

I've owned about five Axises and five EVHs. My understanding is that the Axis has the identical, proprietary DiMarzios (zebra pattern) that came in the EVH models. Long ago a buddy's EVH's bridge pickup died and EBMM wouldn't let him buy a new one until he sent them his dead one. I bought an Axis a few years ago that had an Air Norton in the neck and Tone Zone in the bridge, both all black. I'm sure they weren't original to the guitar. Now I'm watching one on eBay that also has all black DiMarzios and the seller is claiming they're original. Anyone here know for sure that they only came with zebra pattern, proprietary DiMarzios in 2003?

Astrofreq

If it isn’t a Super Sport with MM90s, then it would have the proprietary EVH pickups. Not always striped though. Some had chrome covers, but generally the zebra stripes were the norm.

beej

The EVH/Axis pickups were available in black, for the Sport model. (I have a set- as well as the chrome covered versions ... you can buy them second hand if you keep an eye out.)

That said, those look like something else. The baseplate on the original pickups should be black.

PeteDuBaldo

The EVH/Axis pickups were available in black, for the Sport model. (I have a set- as well as the chrome covered versions ... you can buy them second hand if you keep an eye out.)

That said, those look like something else. The baseplate on the original pickups should be black.

Right, and just to clarify for those who may not know - There were 3 models, an Axis, Axis Super Sport, and Axis Sport.

The Axis & Axis SuperSport
-both had basswood body w/ maple top & binding, and when equipped with humbucking pickups they were DiMarzio "zebra" cream/black.

The Axis Sport (discontinued early 2000s)
-had an ash body (no maple top, no binding) - The DiMarzio humbucking pickups in this guitar were all black.

tbonesullivan

I have heard that the axis comes with great pickups, so I'm not sure why people would ever want to change them. They are the custom pickups designed by EBMM, probably with input from EVH, and they like them so much they use them in the Al HH and other guitars.

I have heard that the closest pickups to them are the Air Norton and Air Zone.

Astrofreq

My apologies about my post above. I forgot about the all black pickups on some.

Yes, the EVH pickups are amazing. I think the bridge pickup is perfect.

Last edited:

Stratty316

Right, and just to clarify for those who may not know - There were 3 models, an Axis, Axis Super Sport, and Axis Sport.

The Axis & Axis SuperSport
-both had basswood body w/ maple top & binding, and when equipped with humbucking pickups they were DiMarzio "zebra" cream/black.

The Axis Sport (discontinued early 2000s)
-had an ash body (no maple top, no binding) - The DiMarzio humbucking pickups in this guitar were all black.

The some of the early Axis Sports have zebra pickups. Generally these are the ones with the pickguard.

GoKart Mozart

I have heard that the axis comes with great pickups, so I'm not sure why people would ever want to change them. They are the custom pickups designed by EBMM, probably with input from EVH, and they like them so much they use them in the Al HH and other guitars.

I have heard that the closest pickups to them are the Air Norton and Air Zone.

DiMarzio's website has mentioned both the Tone Zone and AT-1 as the closest match to the "B1" pickup from the VH/Axis guitar over the years. If you REALLY want to go down the rabbit hole on this, there are some guys on the Duncan/DiMarzio/VHLinks forums that have posted some really useful info on the differences between the DiMarzio VH pickups and regular production models about 10 years ago, even going as far as taking some apart. I remember user name "Majestic" on the VHLinks was one of them.

Based on all that I read about their findings, the bridge "B1"pickup is like a Tone Zone but with symmetrically wound coils - basically two of the screw coils from a Tone Zone; the "B1" omits the "dual resonance" feature of having coils that are wound slightly different. That's why DiMarzio said for years that the Tone Zone was the closest. However, several years later the Timmons AT-1 came out, which has the two symmetrically wound screw coils from the Tone Zone. However, the AT-1 is an "Airbucker" AND has the Virtual Vintage poles on it and the "B1" does not. To make an AT-1 identical to the VH/Axis "B1" pickup, you would have to mod it to remove the Airbucker spacers & Virtual Vintage poles. Possible to do but you need a sacrificial DiMarzio pickup as a donor for parts.

Edit: WHY does Tapatalk not recognize things like apostrophes and quotation marks?!??! Sooo annoying!

Last edited:

tbonesullivan

Based on all that I read about their findings, the bridge "B1"pickup is like a Tone Zone but with symmetrically wound coils - basically two of the screw coils from a Tone Zone; the "B1" omits the "dual resonance" feature of having coils that are wound slightly different. That's why DiMarzio said for years that the Tone Zone was the closest. However, several years later the Timmons AT-1 came out, which has the two symmetrically wound screw coils from the Tone Zone. However, the AT-1 is an "Airbucker" AND has the Virtual Vintage poles on it and the "B1" does not. To make an AT-1 identical to the VH/Axis "B1" pickup, you would have to mod it to remove the Airbucker spacers & Virtual Vintage poles. Possible to do but you need a sacrificial DiMarzio pickup as a donor for parts.
So, the AT-1 is basically the Air Zone but without the "Dual Resonance" thing. Interesting.

I'm pretty sure the best way to get what I'm looking for is to just get an Axis Super Sport. I need a "semi-shredder" with a standard non-locking trem I can deck.

GoKart Mozart

So, the AT-1 is basically the Air Zone but without the "Dual Resonance" thing. Interesting.

I'm pretty sure the best way to get what I'm looking for is to just get an Axis Super Sport. I need a "semi-shredder" with a standard non-locking trem I can deck.

Yes sir, that is the way I read it. If you look at the specs on DiMarzios website, the Tone Zone, AT1, and Air Zone are all pretty similar in specs. I’m sure you could flip a coin and go with any of those 3 and be in the ballpark with any of them, although I have heard several folks that have tried TZs complain that it can be pretty bassy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbucker

I've owned my EVH since I got it new in '93. Yes, absolutely fantastic pickups! Best stock pickups I've ever played and may just be my favorite pickups ever. Hugely versatile for anything clean to mean. Sound awesome.

Because of this, I've put the Air Norton/Tone Zone's in other guitars. The Air Norton is in the ballpark of the EVH/Axis neck, but the Tone Zone was a major disappointment.

I've had 2 Tone Zones in 3 different guitars through the years. Both were hot, muddy and lacked all of the character that I like about the bridge p/u in my EVH, which is clear, chimey, warm but defined.

The Tone Zone is the worst pickup I've ever put in a guitar and would caution anyone who thinks they'll be getting a close alternative to the EVH/Axis bridge pickup. Many like the TZ, but respectfully, I'm really not quite sure why.

fwiw...

GoKart Mozart

I've owned my EVH since I got it new in '93. Yes, absolutely fantastic pickups! Best stock pickups I've ever played and may just be my favorite pickups ever. Hugely versatile for anything clean to mean. Sound awesome.

Because of this, I've put the Air Norton/Tone Zone's in other guitars. The Air Norton is in the ballpark of the EVH/Axis neck, but the Tone Zone was a major disappointment.

I've had 2 Tone Zones in 3 different guitars through the years. Both were hot, muddy and lacked all of the character that I like about the bridge p/u in my EVH, which is clear, chimey, warm but defined.

The Tone Zone is the worst pickup I've ever put in a guitar and would caution anyone who thinks they'll be getting a close alternative to the EVH/Axis bridge pickup. Many like the TZ, but respectfully, I'm really not quite sure why.

fwiw...

Funny enough hbubucker, your distaste for the Tone Zone was one of the posts that came to mind when I was writing my reply! I remember you stating that waaaay back in like 2003!

Man, we have been on this page a loooong time. I was a member under a different username back in those days and switched around 2010.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stratty316

I would stay away from the Duncan ‘78 as well if you are looking for a replacement for the Axis/EVH pickup. It’s a vastly different animal. I have one in my Silhouette and I’m not in love with it like I am the Axis HB’s.

click track

I just replaced my stock pick ups in my 2000 Black Sparkle Axis Super Sport Hardtail with the Dimarzio Liquifire and the Crunch Lab, WOW... I wish I had done this years ago, it sounds amazing both the cleans and the distortion !

I have no use for the original stock pick ups, first one to chime in gets them shipped to them for free...U.S. only, i would have to work out how much shipping would cost for overseas.

dibart77

I just replaced my stock pick ups in my 2000 Black Sparkle Axis Super Sport Hardtail with the Dimarzio Liquifire and the Crunch Lab, WOW... I wish I had done this years ago, it sounds amazing both the cleans and the distortion !

I have no use for the original stock pick ups, first one to chime in gets them shipped to them for free...U.S. only, i would have to work out how much shipping would cost for overseas.

I have a cool project these would work for! Sent you PM.

-J

GoKart Mozart

Dibs in case Jeff decides to pass!

click track

I think i replied to both your private messages....i am useless with out, Outlook..., Dibart came in first, just PM me the address you want me to UPS these pick ups to and I will get them sent out tommorrow, no charge, we are a brotherhood here....

Top Bottom