• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Mattekarnaa

Hello
I need to refinish the bakside of my EVH because of wood movement on the basswood body.
The one that sold me the guitar had a friend “fixing” but the wood started to move again.
I think it needs to be sealed before painting.

AND YES! The pic is when I first got it, look at how the old owner set the springs ha ha ha.

Anyone had the same problem?
C106C6B5-B11C-42E9-AC0C-0265B67D42D6.jpg

Last edited:

tommydude

A professional painter will fill the area prior to painting, then clear coat.

Definitely post the before and after pictures!

Any pictures of the top?

threeminutesboy

Hello
I need to refinish the bakside of my EVH because of wood movement on the basswood body.
The one that sold me the guitar had a friend “fixing” but the wood started to move again.
I think it needs to be sealed before painting.

Anyone had the same problem?
View attachment 37633

Wood is alive which is a good thing, I never experienced that with any of my guitars. But I think this indeed can be corrected.

tbonesullivan

That's definitely a little strange. I thought the body was basswood with a maple top? I've never seen that on a basswood body guitar. It almost looks like it was made from several pieces of wood.

GoKart Mozart

That's definitely a little strange. I thought the body was basswood with a maple top? I've never seen that on a basswood body guitar. It almost looks like it was made from several pieces of wood.

Not sure how MM does theirs but many companies use multiple pieces of basswood cut to where the grain runs in opposite directions and glued together to provide more stability and less movement, instead of using a single piece for the body blank. Usually it’s only 3 large pieces though.

hbucker

I have a '93 EVH that I just took a hard look at... Holding it up to the light just right, I can see some subtle grain pattern and a seam between the two pieces of basswood that were used.

But this is all so subtle that I doubt I could capture any of it with a photo.

It is surprising to me that the guitar in question has 4 pieces that were used/glued the way these are. - Almost looks like they used scraps, which doesn't make a lot of sense - Basswood is an inexpensive wood.

I'm assuming that you're certain this is an authentic EVH body and not counterfeit? (Had to be asked) - I've never seen this before on any guitar, let alone something with the attention to quality that EBMM has always used.

I suppose there is no accounting for the climate and storage this guitar has been exposed to either.

This seems fixable by an expert even though any kind of refin for any reason could affect the collectibility of this already collectible guitar down the line. ...Worth considering since it probably doesn't affect playability.

Top Bottom