• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

HockeyPuck

Hey. I've got a JP6 and really like the bridge, mostly because of the palm rest. It's so comfortable, and I was wondering if I could add the plate to the bridge on my Albert Lee. Or if not if I can change it to the Modern, and where I can buy these parts from?

I can't find anything in the UK Ernie Ball site or any other suppliers.

Thanks!

TripHazard

I'm not certain, but I don't think this is possible. Also, the modern bridge - as used on cutlass, valentine, etc - is wider on both side, so wouldn't fit with the Pickguard on the Albert Lee, or the studs. Just take a look at where the studs are in relation to the saddles on the Al vs. the Cutlass.

The JP6 bridge looks like it might fit, in terms of the upper part of the bridge area, but the lower is wider than on the Al. The Al bridge cuts in after the Trem arm, the Modern on the Cutlass and the one on the JP6 do not. Have a look at the pictures on the website and you will see what I mean.

Now, of course, you could make it fit, but that brings us back to whether EBMM would sell you one. I know that tif they did, they would ask you to return the original bridge to them first before they sold you a replacement

HockeyPuck

I'm not certain, but I don't think this is possible. Also, the modern bridge - as used on cutlass, valentine, etc - is wider on both side, so wouldn't fit with the Pickguard on the Albert Lee, or the studs. Just take a look at where the studs are in relation to the saddles on the Al vs. the Cutlass.

The JP6 bridge looks like it might fit, in terms of the upper part of the bridge area, but the lower is wider than on the Al. The Al bridge cuts in after the Trem arm, the Modern on the Cutlass and the one on the JP6 do not. Have a look at the pictures on the website and you will see what I mean.

Now, of course, you could make it fit, but that brings us back to whether EBMM would sell you one. I know that tif they did, they would ask you to return the original bridge to them first before they sold you a replacement

Okay. Maybe not worth doing then. Why would they want it back? Surely it's mine to do with what I want?

TripHazard

Apparently it’s treated as proprietary design (or something like that) so to sell you a replacement they ask for the original back so that it doesn’t end up in the market place on another brands guitar

tbonesullivan

Okay. Maybe not worth doing then. Why would they want it back? Surely it's mine to do with what I want?
Music Man does not sell bridges as spare parts. The only way you get a new one is to send in the old one. People have wanted to change from black hardware to chrome, and vice versa. The only way they will allow that is if you send back the original.

The counterfeiting has gotten completely out of hand, and they do their damnedest to keep original parts out of circulation.

tbonesullivan

Gotcha. Makes sense. Okay maybe it's easier just to keep the bridge as it is. Thanks. :)

I have known people who put a piece of foam or felt on the tops of the saddles on bridges like the EBMM classic to make them more comfortable. Bent Steel saddles came back in a big way, along with the height adjustment screw woes. I've never really noticed an issue though, just due to where I play.

HockeyPuck

I have known people who put a piece of foam or felt on the tops of the saddles on bridges like the EBMM classic to make them more comfortable. Bent Steel saddles came back in a big way, along with the height adjustment screw woes. I've never really noticed an issue though, just due to where I play.

Yea this this the issue. I'm not sure I want to put felt over the bridge. What about just changing the saddles, could that work?

HockeyPuck

Check out Highwood saddles- bent steel but with no grub screws exposed

Thanks. It's not just the screws as I've already had my tech shim the neck super slightly on my Albert Lee and the screws as depressed into the body of the saddle.

Whn palm muting it's just not a comfortable saddle in general. It's got holes and rough edges which catch when you move up and down the saddle. I think the answer is block saddles.

I've got a Sabre on the way too, and I didn't realise that the modern bridge used bent saddles. I didn't really pay too much attention to it until recently. Very strange decision for guitars designed for modern rock music etc.

Last edited:

HockeyPuck

What about the saddles from the JP6. I believe they're Piezo ones. Are they available to buy, would they fit in the Albert Lee?

beej

Imo, the EBMM block saddles are great- they sound good and there aren't any sharp edges (assuming that's the main issue). You can buy them direct from MM.

That said, there is a difference in tone- the bent saddles have a little more 'zing' than the block ones. Personal taste, really.

HockeyPuck

Imo, the EBMM block saddles are great- they sound good and there aren't any sharp edges (assuming that's the main issue). You can buy them direct from MM.

That said, there is a difference in tone- the bent saddles have a little more 'zing' than the block ones. Personal taste, really.

Thanks. Would they fit in the AL bridge and under the Sabre trem/bridge cover?

HockeyPuck

So the solid saddles will fit the AL. As for fitting under the Sabre cover, I seem to remember someone doing that, try searching the guitar side for sabre saddles.

You should be able use this info to order them from any local dealer.

Shop Ernie Ball Music Man - Music Man Solid Steel Guitar Saddle Set

Shop Ernie Ball Music Man - Music Man Bent Steel Guitar Saddle Set

Glenn |B)

Thanks. I'm in the UK so things are a little more difficult, especially at the moment. I've emailed Ernie Ball and the UK supplier, Strings & Things so we'll see.

Sorry, what do you mean by the bolded part, what guitar side?

Stratty316

28BC961F-B50A-46A9-9422-758246009755.jpg This is why EBMM doesn’t sell parts. EBMM Axis Neck on a Sterling Cutlass... you should really be seated when you look at it...

Last edited:
Top Bottom