• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Bill S

I like a low action with no string buzz. I use 9s if that makes any difference - what sort of measurements should I be able to achieve on my Cutlass or JP6? I guess it partly depends on how hard a player strikes the strings?

Mace13

Thanks for the video!

Do I understand your procedure correctly: 1) set neck to perfectly flat, using careful truss rod adjustment 2) set string heights at 24th fret to 1.5 to 1.75 mm with saddle adjustment and 3) Adjust neck to bow just a little bit (1/4 turn at a time, play for a while between truss rod adjustments) until fret buzz is gone.

Is that the procedure?

Timeblock

Thanks for the video!

Do I understand your procedure correctly: 1) set neck to perfectly flat, using careful truss rod adjustment 2) set string heights at 24th fret to 1.5 to 1.75 mm with saddle adjustment and 3) Adjust neck to bow just a little bit (1/4 turn at a time, play for a while between truss rod adjustments) until fret buzz is gone.

Is that the procedure?

Yes, exactly!

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
I guess it partly depends on how hard a player strikes the strings?

Absolutley! Some players developed a very light touch and can get away with very low action. The rest of us don't. It also depends on how much buzz a player is willing to accept. It is always a compromise.

Also remember that when doing our setups, we focus on fret buzz that is of no consequence when we actually play music. If we want low action, the goal should not be "no buzz" but the maximum amount of buzz that we *don't* notice when we actually enjoy ourself playing.

Astrofreq

Also remember that when doing our setups, we focus on fret buzz that is of no consequence when we actually play music. If we want low action, the goal should not be "no buzz" but the maximum amount of buzz that we *don't* notice when we actually enjoy ourself playing.

Exactly!

Bill S

Thanks for the video!

Is that the procedure?

I still don’t get how step 1 works - how do you gauge when the neck is flat ? Sorry for the total noob questions

Spudmurphy

I remember meeting up with Jonny Dubai, when I was in Dubai lol. A fantastic legatto, and tapping guitarist. He is an amazing player. I played his Axis and I wasn't able to do much on it. I'm a Kossoff kind of guitarist. It was set up for him .... so it's what we English say "Horses for Courses".
A great video by the way and your English was fantastic - boy I wish I could speak a second/third language !

Timeblock

I like a low action with no string buzz. I use 9s if that makes any difference - what sort of measurements should I be able to achieve on my Cutlass or JP6? I guess it partly depends on how hard a player strikes the strings?

I absolutely agree with DrKev's answer, guitar action is really subjective... the quality of the instrument (read: frets leveling) is very important, but if we pick really hard is nearly impossibile to have NO fret buzz

Timeblock

I still don’t get how step 1 works - how do you gauge when the neck is flat ? Sorry for the total noob questions

Don't worry, the "noob questions" doesn't exists, there are only things we know and things we don't know! ;)

you can evaluate the neck relief by putting a capo on 1st fret, then tap on 15-16th fret (it really depends from guitar to guitar). in the middle (7th-8th fret) you may notice a small gap. if you don't, your neck is perfectly straight or worse, it curves backward (and this is ALWAYS a bad thing).
i'm recording a new video that clarifies some questions!

Timeblock

I remember meeting up with Jonny Dubai, when I was in Dubai lol. A fantastic legatto, and tapping guitarist. He is an amazing player. I played his Axis and I wasn't able to do much on it. I'm a Kossoff kind of guitarist. It was set up for him .... so it's what we English say "Horses for Courses".
A great video by the way and your English was fantastic - boy I wish I could speak a second/third language !

Thank you so much, i can teach you a little italian, if you like! =)

GoKart Mozart

I absolutely agree with DrKev's answer, guitar action is really subjective... the quality of the instrument (read: frets leveling) is very important, but if we pick really hard is nearly impossibile to have NO fret buzz

Couldn’t agree more with your and DrKev’s comments. Some folks seem to forget that it’s a metal string and metal frets with the string vibrating hundreds of times per second with only thousandths of an inch of space between the two when the guitar is set up with “low action”. If you can’t hear any buzzing when the guitar is amplified and you’re making music, play on!

Top Bottom