• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

tj1

Just acquired a new Bongo bass!

First impressions are that it is really comfortable and light to hold, a whole more cuddly than other basses I have tried - MMs and other brands.

I would describe the tone as modern prog rock/soul rather than woody/vintage. Probably not a retro choice, although perhaps it could be versatile in the right hands

I guess my criticisms are the price, although not much more than Sweetwater are charging in the US and the very limited colour choice - it was this or a revolting purple - it seems Bongos don't have a standard 'neutral' choice.

ZiggyDude

Actually - I have a Bongo 5 HH in that metal flake purple and love the color. It was nice to also get ebony on the fret board. I have gotten a lot of compliments on it. It has a white pick guard that I think clashes - I have been looking for a different shade. Considering chrome.

tj1

Actually - I have a Bongo 5 HH in that metal flake purple and love the color. It was nice to also get ebony on the fret board. I have gotten a lot of compliments on it. It has a white pick guard that I think clashes - I have been looking for a different shade. Considering chrome.

Well it's a matter of personal preference. I am just saying if they had one standard neutral colour for the bongo like black or a subtle sunburst, they could go really wild with the other colour choices.

Golem

Just acquired a new Bongo bass!

First impressions are that it is really comfortable and light to hold, a whole more cuddly than other basses I have tried - MMs and other brands.

I would describe the tone as modern prog rock/soul rather than woody/vintage. Probably not a retro choice, although perhaps it could be versatile in the right hands

I guess my criticisms are the price, although not much more than Sweetwater are charging in the US and the very limited colour choice - it was this or a revolting purple - it seems Bongos don't have a standard 'neutral' choice.
There’s nothing standard nor neutral about a Boingo !

My colors aren’t really wild, one gold, one black. But both are single PU with piezo bridge and no frets. Also no B-strings ... which seems a relatively rare choice in Boingoland these days.

At least the string count is still a players choice. I’ve got a coupla basses that are available ONLY as 5-strings. I just delete the B, and restring them diagonally (normal at the nut but shifted over to the bass side at the bridge).

Last edited:

danny-79

At least the string count is still a players choice. I’ve got a coupla basses that are available ONLY as 5-strings. I just delete the B, and restring them diagonally (normal at the nut but shifted over to the bass side at the bridge).

Wow. That’s an interesting concept. I’ve only got one 5 string (a purple bongo funny enough). I could of brought the identical 4 string but decided I needed a 5 in the stable...... mildly regretting my decision but I’ll stick with it for now

ZiggyDude

Wow. That’s an interesting concept. I’ve only got one 5 string (a purple bongo funny enough). I could of brought the identical 4 string but decided I needed a 5 in the stable...... mildly regretting my decision but I’ll stick with it for now

Regret it not! :)

Actually - now that I have been doing the 5 thing for a long time - a 4 string feels like a toy. The wider the neck the better. I don't use the lower notes on every song - but I do use them every set. Some songs can be played slightly differently. A classic rock example is "Sunshine of Your Love". Now I use the low D in the riff and every band loves it. And if someone wants to lower the key of a song - no worries! :)

Golem

Actually - now that I have been doing the 5 thing for a long time - a 4 string feels like a toy. The wider the neck the better. I don't use the lower notes on every song - but I do use them every set. Some songs can be played slightly differently. A classic rock example is "Sunshine of Your Love". Now I use the low D in the riff and every band loves it. And if someone wants to lower the key of a song - no worries! :)

Obviously I never use any lower notes cuz the B-string is deleted but I do agree that the more massive neck contributes to the tone, especially with FL.

So why not just leave the B-string in place as just a thumb rest ? Well I tried that simply cuz it seemed easy enough. I found it annoying and confusing enough that I removed it.

Just removing the B-string created a weird feeling of too much reach for my right hand fingers between the edge of the neck and the string set. So I shifted the string set closer by not using the G-string saddle anymore. YMMV.

danny-79

No regrets :p
I’m going to have to get a second fiver to make the first one legal is about the best option.
It’s just the overall feel of it, it’s quite disorienting to start with but I’m getting better at going back and forth.

danny-79

Obviously I never use any lower notes cuz the B-string is deleted but I do agree that the more massive neck contributes to the tone, especially with FL.

So why not just leave the B-string in place as just a thumb rest ? Well I tried that simply cuz it seemed easy enough. I found it annoying and confusing enough that I removed it.

Just removing the B-string created a weird feeling of too much reach for my right hand fingers between the edge of the neck and the string set. So I shifted the string set closer by not using the G-string saddle anymore. YMMV.

Just out of interest how many fivers have you got set up like this ?

Top Bottom