• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

twiceVehk

Bass in question is a 2021 Stingray Special 4H. When I tap on the pickup cover, or scratch on it with my fingernail, the sound is transferred through the amp. Same when giving the body of the bass a good thump. It's not full on microphonic like a vintage single coil...no hissing or squealing or anything like that, and really isn't that obtrusive. I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior for a Stingray? Is the pickup wax or lacquer potted? I researched and wasn't able to find the answer either.

In comparison, the pickups on both of my American Fenders are dead silent.

tbonesullivan

I you tap the pole pieces on any pickup, guitar or bass, it will transmit the vibrations to the amplifier. Pickups are transducers that turn vibration energy into electrical impulses. In this case, instead of the strings vibrating with respect to the pickups, the pickups are vibrating with respect to the strings.

Also if you tap on the body of a guitar or bass, not only are you transmitting vibrations to the pickups, you are transmitting them to the strings via the bridge.

I'm actually MORE surprised that the Fenders don't make any nose when tapping the pickups or the body.

twiceVehk

I you tap the pole pieces on any pickup, guitar or bass, it will transmit the vibrations to the amplifier. Pickups are transducers that turn vibration energy into electrical impulses. In this case, instead of the strings vibrating with respect to the pickups, the pickups are vibrating with respect to the strings.

Also if you tap on the body of a guitar or bass, not only are you transmitting vibrations to the pickups, you are transmitting them to the strings via the bridge.

I'm actually MORE surprised that the Fenders don't make any nose when tapping the pickups or the body.

Thanks for your insight. This is my first Stingray, and it really is awesome. I should have been more clear, I am completely muting the strings with one hand, while tapping lightly on the pickup coil with the other. Yes, the Fenders (a '74 P, an Am Standard P, and a CS Jazz) are dead silent in this regard.

I don't really think it's detrimental in any way, probably makes the bass more lively. I was just curious if this was normal behavior for a Stingray

Golem

I disagree with that explanation.

Relax the string tension and stuff some rags or foam between the PU and the strings. Then get into some PU scratching and body thumping.

Shouldn’t an illusory microphonic effect go away ? Not on my not very old SR4H. Still microphonic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom