• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Slick64

I've been looking at some of these and purchased a pick guard from Pete's shop (DuBaldo Music Center)

It's just sitting on the guitar, but they do look pretty different with it.

Red HT no PG.jpg

Red HT w PG.jpg

ASS no PG.jpg

ASS w PG.jpg

tbonesullivan

Yeah, it's definitely a different look. Some people love pickguards. Some hate them. I have guitars with and without.

Is that an Axis Hardtail? When did they make those? Must have been before they started using the Super Sport name.

Slick64

Yes, it's a hard tail. These were early on, and the following was posted by one of the mods in 2008:

We offered the Red, Purple, and Gold in a non trem version starting 1/96

January 97 we offered another option in a non trem Sunburst! (Honey Burst now)

April 97 price list shows all 4 colors and a new rosewood option on all Axis Models.

For most of 97-98 this stayed the same until Jan 99 the non trem Axis was only available with a maple neck and Trans gold only! By 2000 the Supersport arrived and the Non trem Axis was history!

GWDavis28

Well like TBone said, they look different, I like them without myself. To cover up the Fuchsia would be a crime, hahahahahaha.

Glenn |B)

Slick64

Well like TBone said, they look different, I like them without myself. To cover up the Fuchsia would be a crime, hahahahahaha.

Glenn |B)

I'm actually liking it on the hard tail, but more than likely it'll be put on the ASS. Doubt I'd actually screw it on too. Maybe some adhesive that's reversible.

fogman

I think they look cool with a pickguard.... but only the solid coloured ones and natural headstock.
That's just me.

Sweat

Uh NO! Sorry beautiful guitars pickguard is well fugly. Leave them be especially the axis hardtail and the tobacco axis

beej

Personally, I like them. But they change the personality- they make them more telecaster-ish.

It's cool, just different.

Axis Sport

I am a fan and have had many sports with guards. This Axis is from 99 and has a factory guard.

Here is another one I did.

Reflex one off with factory guard

This is a one off super sport, one of my favorites.

Last edited:

TripHazard

I much prefer covered hum buckers. Zebra coils don't do it for me -I like the clean aesthetic of a covered humbucker. That black quilt with guard and chrome covers looks great

Pink

How would it look if you cut the pickguard below the pickups, parallel with the neck? Give it a quasi Les Paul/Cabronita vibe.

Practical with a bit o’ flair.

Top Bottom