• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

tailgate

I really need some help. I really want to purchase this 1996 EBMM Axis, but the serial number does not match the guitar color. The guy selling it said "The backplate was lost so new metal backplate (from EB) is installed" and I had him send me a pic of the backplate with the serial number (attached) and then he said "It’s the original number you can verify on music man site as did I. The original back plate was lost and replaced by new one from EB. I took it off and it’s in the case". I checked it against my two other Axis guitars and it looks legit to me, but the serial number thing is bothering me. Thank you for taking the time to look at my post.

Attachments

• Axis_Purple_1.jpg
    Axis_Purple_1.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Axis_Purple_3.jpg
    Axis_Purple_3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 108
  • Axis_Purple_4.png
    Axis_Purple_4.png
    35.1 KB · Views: 93

beej

First off, that is one sweet quilt!

Re the serial #- it's not unusual to have it replaced; It happens occasionally. Normally they just grab whatever they have handy.

The database isn't perfect- there are often mistakes with older models like this. If the guitar looks good in every other way I wouldn't worry.

You can also email MM directly and ask for a clarification.

GWDavis28

I'm with you Beej, that is awesome!!! if you dig it, buy it!!!

Glenn |B)

Slick64

I hope you are getting him down from that price!

It's a gorgeous top, but the price needs to reflect condition.

tailgate

I hope you are getting him down from that price!

It's a gorgeous top, but the price needs to reflect condition.

Ok, so what price do you guys think? I am having a tough time figuring what to offer him. Which is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The ding/gouge in the top by the binding is really bad. The rest I can live with because of that insane quilt top. Thanks!

Slick64

Ok, so what price do you guys think? I am having a tough time figuring what to offer him. Which is why I haven't pulled the trigger yet. The ding/gouge in the top by the binding is really bad. The rest I can live with because of that insane quilt top. Thanks!

They're also a few good size dings on the back if I recall.

If it was priced right, it would have been gone. That top stands out, but his price should be closer to $1600 on that condition. That's what I'd offer, and feel it was ok.

Taxes also need to be accounted for.

In my experience it never hurts to offer a decent number, and see what they counter at. If he wants to sell he'll drop until you find a deal you can both live with. If he declines or counters at the same, you'll need to decide if you can feel good after taking it home, or wait for a nicer one to come along.

tailgate

He wouldn't come down so I passed on it. I will find another one. Just have to be patient. Thanks for all the help!

Slick64

Good call. Every time I decided to pass and be patient, a better guitar came along, and I was happy. The treatment that guitar received shows.

It'll sit for awhile until he comes down.

Top Bottom