• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

NickNihil

I'm in the market for another guitar, my main workhorse is a St Vincent HHH stealth black, modded for 500k pots. I was going to get an HH model, as the St Vincent quickly became my favorite guitar I've ever played, though I'm now finding I need something else that allows for greater upper fret access. Left to my own devices, you might call me an art rock guy-I move between doom, ambient, modern jazz, and dark pop. Pro-wise, I play in a soul band and a Prince tribute.

So, I'm looking for something, preferably Humbucker based for access to fatter, warmer mid-range tones, but with middle positions that can get really snappy and bright for classic Prince/Nile Rodgers style funk, preferably a 5 way selector. Basically, a substitute for the St Vincent HH, one that has more open high fret access. Currently considering the Silhouette HSH and the Albert Lee. Anything else that might compare? Luke? Steve Morse? Stingray RS?

xjbebop

you know what I'm gonna say...

vZCAMBG.jpg

Pink

The Silhouette gives you that single coil spank in position 3, plus you get those classic ‘in between’ tones from positions 2 and 4. With its deeper lower cutaway and 24 frets, you get easy access to the upper frets. HSH without any mods. Choice of hardtail or tremolo bridge.

Ticks many boxes.

Last edited:

NickNihil

Thank you, everyone! I tried an HSH Silo, couldn't bond with the 24 fret neck p/u tone, so I got an Albert Lee HH, and holy Moses, that was the ticket. Amazing instrument.

Top Bottom