• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Sirfishalot

I love my new Ernie Ball Sabre bass, but it has a very annoying quality control issue that should have been caught before it left the factory. The bridge saddles set screws appear to be defective in that they were manufactured too long and do not allow the saddles to be completely lowered. Result is that the bass cannot be set to low action. See attached photo.
I wonder if this is something they will fix under warranty?

Thanks,
Jay T D6A484D0-1BC8-4DF9-8A50-A0BAA45B6EAD.jpg

Last edited:

strummer

Enormous Member
I love my new Ernie Ball Sabre bass, but it has a very annoying quality control issue that should have been caught before it left the factory. The bridge saddles set screws appear to be defective in that they were manufactured too long and do not allow the saddles to be completely lowered. Result is that the bass cannot be set to low action. See attached photo.
I wonder if this is something they will fix under warranty?

Thanks,
Jay T View attachment 37845

Hi Jay
Have you checked the relief? Reason I ask is that with just a tad too much relief this will happen, and maybe it's all that it takes to fix your problem.

danny-79

I’d be looking towards a neck shim if the saddles are maxing out. Always handy to be able to make adjustments in both directions

Sirfishalot

Hi Jay
Have you checked the relief? Reason I ask is that with just a tad too much relief this will happen, and maybe it's all that it takes to fix your problem.

Yes, had my tech adjust which improved it, but over long screws just won’t allow the saddle to lower any more.
Customer service wants money for shims and new screws on a brand new bass. If they we’re still making these, I’d take back to the dealer for one that didn’t have what obviously is a defect.

Thanks

Rod Trussbroken

That’s just it, the saddles are unable to be maxed out due to the length of screws.

Thanks

The overall effect of a shim (at the back of the neck pocket on the body) is to place the strings closer to the fret board (or even sitting on the fret board). In turn you will then need to adjust the saddles up by turning the screws clockwise. The screws will have enough room to adjust the saddles either way, up or down, to the desired height..

danny-79

That’s just it, the saddles are unable to be maxed out due to the length of screws.

Thanks

They look pretty maxed to me.
Any more and the saddle it’s self will be sitting on the bridge.
The grub screws run in from the bottom of the saddle and stop at the top at the lowest usable height. (They are designed that way purposely to do that) any lower and a shim in the back of the neck pocket is needed, at that point the action will be too low so you then start again by raising the saddle to the desired height

Top Bottom