• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

furor

Hi all,

I finally have my first EBMM, a Silo. Thicker neck than anticipated, but comfortable. Love the (rosewood) fretboard. Very smooth playing. I need to get used to the 'smaller' size.
I'm thinking of adding an option to split the humbuckers using a P/P or mini toggle, and I took a look under the hood. I am told that it are not the original elements, although a previous owner put back the same type in a later stage. Not entirely convinced of the virtual PAFs, particularly the bridge. The middle position is loud, while positions 2 and 4 are disproportinoally quiet and position 2 is very shrill.

So I had a look, and apparently it has a super switch (is this common in Silos?). First time I laid my eyes on one. The wiring is not what I expected.
position 1 = bridge
2 = (full) bridge + SC
3 = both humbuckers (full)
4 = single coil
5 = neck

Could it be that the bridge and SC are out of phase? Hence the very silent and trebly output?

I do like the sound of both humbuckers together, although I want to split them (single coils), have an autosplit in positions 2 and 4, and also have the possibility to use the outer coils of both humbuckers together (tele style).
Can I use a toggle switch to select either one of the 'blades/sides/poles' of the super switch? I guess I need to connect the commons to the mini toggle?
One side would then be the 'default' HSH with autosplit in positions 2 and 4, while split humbuckers each, split outer coils together, and 2 humbuckers in parallel would be wired on the second side.
Does this make any sense?

In addition, how do you remove the pickguard without having to restring the guitar each time?

Thanks!:)

dibart77

That is not the stock pickup wiring scheme. Should be:

1 = bridge (both coils)
2 = one coil of bridge + middle SC
3 = middle SC
4 = one coil of neck + middle SC
5 = neck (both coils)

Could it be that the bridge and SC are out of phase? Hence the very silent and trebly output?

Sounds like a likely culprit.

In addition, how do you remove the pickguard without having to restring the guitar each time?

If you're VERY careful you can dive-bomb the trem and make the strings slinky enough to get the pickguard out. I usually lift it up by the knobs and slide a polishing cloth under as far as I can so avoid the pickup screws scratching the paint.

Last edited:

furor

I just take the strings out of the tuners. Locking tuners make it easy to put them back.

Don't they tend to break faster then at the 'clasp'. And you don't make a turn when they're pulled through the hole and leave sufficient of string passed the hole?

I saw that there's plenty of space to have different combinations of pickups. I might wire 1 or 2 extra pickguards. There's a molex or what's it called :)

I do have to retune it often though.

Pink

Do a quick web search for “HSH with coil split wiring diagrams”. I found a schematic for:
1. bridge HB; coil split with push/push
2. bridge HB split + middle
3. bridge HB + neck HB; coil split both with push/push
4. middle + neck HB split
5. neck HB; coil split with push/push

I think that’s what you are going for. If I was a little more tech savvy, I’d place the link here.

GWDavis28

Do a quick web search for “HSH with coil split wiring diagrams”. I found a schematic for:
1. bridge HB; coil split with push/push
2. bridge HB split + middle
3. bridge HB + neck HB; coil split both with push/push
4. middle + neck HB split
5. neck HB; coil split with push/push

I think that’s what you are going for. If I was a little more tech savvy, I’d place the link here.

You mean this one?

Pickups wiring: HSH autosplit with a standard 5-way switch (with optional coil split push/pull) – ♫ Daniele Turani ♪

I haven't seen any pictures yet??

Glenn |B)

GWDavis28

Askers gonna ask ... :D
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Nice congrats!!!

Glenn |B)

furor

Have these always been alder bodies throughout the years? It's a 2006.

Top Bottom