• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

7enderbender

9375630D-E97D-4710-AF96-1F51BE2408AB.jpg

I bought this JP15 a few years back. Beautiful looking instrument and flawlessly made. Problem is that I don’t like the sound of it, don’t like the pile of electronics in it that prevent me from trying different pickups, pots and bypassing the (useless for me) boost. As a result I almost never play it. I’m usually not one to sell gear but this one may just have to go unless somebody has any suggestion on how to remove all that circuitry while saving the ability to use the piezo still. Basically an old JP6 situation would probably be better. I don’t even care about stereo outputs. I’d want a different pickup in the bridge (probably a CrunchLab) and the electric side fully passive. No battery required other than for the piezo.

tbonesullivan

It definitely isn't for you. I would just sell it. Not even sure why you really bought if, if you didn't want that particular sound and features. It's an artist model made for the specific needs of a player like John Petrucci. I normally would not consider such a sophisticated and customized instrument to be a good "customization platform". Something like the Silhouette would be far better.

Also, you are going to have a lot of trouble finding any guitar that does not have a piezo as part of a larger active electronics package.

dave1812

the magentic pickups in the JP15 don't have the Majesty GC Switching, do they?
You'd just have to take out the Boost Circuit and use the Stereo Out with a Mono Cable.
tbh though the electronics in the newer JP Models are my Main Reason not to get a Majesty or a 15 without modification.
I've never seen the electronics cavity in a JP15 so i could be mistaken, but a pickup swap should still be pretty easy, as long as you get pickups with flat mounting ears.

TripHazard

Difficult to get away from active circuitry altogether when running a piezo I think, but you should be able to do it somehow. Comes down to if it is worth doing it on that guitar or whether it’s better to move it on, take the money and go for a different model, like the JP6 with piezo. I reckon even the JP6 is gonna be PCB mounted pots etc.

Vadauco

I feel your pain. I play live in a 3-piece rock band, a situation where the guitar cannot fail. I had a Majesty that was amazing to play live (very lightweight), but the fact it ran on batteries made me paranoid at the stage. So I had to let her go.

I would not mess with those piles of electronics, risking damaging such an expensive instrument. In your case, it seems that the first JP6 model is the perfect pick.

beej

Well ... you can mod this guitar to do what you want. It's not rocket science. But it requires some know-how, or taking it to someone who's comfortable working on it.

But- you'll probably lower the resale value and risk damaging the guitar.

I think you should flip it. Get what you want. If the JP6 ticks all the boxes, go for it.

GWDavis28

I feel your pain. I play live in a 3-piece rock band, a situation where the guitar cannot fail. I had a Majesty that was amazing to play live (very lightweight), but the fact it ran on batteries made me paranoid at the stage. So I had to let her go.

I would not mess with those piles of electronics, risking damaging such an expensive instrument. In your case, it seems that the first JP6 model is the perfect pick.

This is a great call. Get an original JP6 with a piezo, there are some really great deals out there. If the JP is really what you want. A lot of people have some good advice here.

Best of luck, Glenn |B)

Top Bottom