• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

tbonesullivan

I think most of the original "gold foil" was perforated paper backed aluminum foil. That's why they are called "foil pickups". It was rarely any type of screen or mesh. These days though it can be anything.

I don't think anything used over a normal humbucker would really change the sound more than a regular cover would. It does make it pretty hard to adjust polepieces though.

I wonder what kind of construction is inside of the St Vincent gold foil pickups. Are they still firebird style?

The original "gold foil" pickups by Teisco and DeArmond were fairly low output. They were built using rubberized ferrite magnets. In other words, refrigerator magnets.

St_G

AFAIK, no one has said how the new Goldie pickups are constructed, but the old DiMarzio minibuckers weren't built like Firebird pickups. They just kinda looked like it because they didn't visible polepices. But they were normal minihums, which is to say basically built like a normal humbucker, just in a different shape.

I wonder what kind of construction is inside of the St Vincent gold foil pickups. Are they still firebird style?

Top Bottom