• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Clouseau

Hello,

I use 9-42 strings on my jp15. Tried a couple of different ones from different manufactures but they all feel stiff compared for example to my RG with edge tremolo. My action is pretty low(1.2mm on e, 1.5mm on E, or even lower), neck is almost straight. Saddles are not flat(parallel) with the body, they are pointing upwards. Should they be parallel with the body and could that be the problem? How about spring tension, maybe changing tremolo springs to a softer ones?

SpeakingToStone

Hi. You're on the right track. It's the saddles. Generally, the higher the saddle, the higher the tension. Try lowering the saddles a little, raise the bridge, and see if that gets you to where you want to be.

Good luck!

tekwerk

If your JP 15 has three springs in the back, remove one and re-adjust to level the bridge. When using 9-42's, two springs are what you want. Add the third back in if you go up to 10's.
Maddi

Etudica

If your JP 15 has three springs in the back, remove one and re-adjust to level the bridge. When using 9-42's, two springs are what you want. Add the third back in if you go up to 10's.
Maddi

This. I suggest removing the middle spring. Some people leave the outside springs straight and others (like me) prefer to angle the outer two springs inward by moving the one end of each spring towards the center in a triangle formation. Will require tightening of the trem claw screws and then followed up with the rest of a typical setup. It should get you exactly what you are after.

Clouseau

Tnx all. I allready have two springs in the back in arrow (triangle) formation but strings are still stiff. RG with the same 9 42 feels like spaghetti after I change the guitar, total slinky. I will try to lower the saddles and see how it goes...

Top Bottom