• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

EBMM_EVH_1992

I have a 1992 EVH Signature guitar where the chrome is worn away from the MM Gotoh / FR licensed tremolo. Wear is on the saddles (lower E having the most worn off chrome) and the MM logo on the unit / plate has the chrome worn. I wondered what my options are as it's my favourite guitar.

Firstly has anyone ever had their parts re-chromed and did you have any issues ?

Secondly, my current approach is to buy more guitars :D and take the best parts from them - I got a real bargain on a 1997 Luke I (£650 / $900) .. although the tremolo floats I assume the saddles are the same even though the block on the EVH that prevents this?

The only issue now is I really love the Luke I ... so now I've got a few older Axis guitars in my sights. I know the Gotoh unit on the newer Axis guitars is different, but seem to recall the saddles also changed previously in size - so even some early 2000s models wouldn't be a like-for-like swap. What years will fit my EVH ?

Thanks in advance !

hbucker

I'm happy for someone to check me on this, but...

I imagine that you could just buy a new Gotoh saddle and have it be a proper replacement. Or if they are slightly different cosmetically, buy a set of saddles and replace the originals. Nobody could probably tell the difference.

EBMM_EVH_1992

I read that the saddle size changed so can't do like for like - Gotoh change their 1988T to a 1996T .. but I don't know the MM licensed trem history.

EBMM_EVH_1992

Thanks - don't suppose anyone know when the saddles on the Axis guitars changed - guessing there was no real reason for MM to change design until it was enforced somehow.

Saw a 2005 post saying they aren't interchangeable

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-b.../8469-replacement-ebmm-vh-bridge-saddles.html

And then this post

http://forums.ernieball.com/ernie-ball-music-man-guitars/69895-axis-trem-questions.html

"When the EBMM EVH came out in 1991, it had a Floyd Rose licensed tremolo that was branded MUSIC MAN (molded into the metal) and manufactured by Gotoh. The EVH had offset saddles which allowed you to adjust the intonation without loosening the string (just loosen the saddle allen screw while the string is under tension and slide the saddle).

I don't think any EBMM before the EVH had a Gotoh Floyd, because one of the early EVH prototypes had a Schaller Floyd and for legal or business reasons they ended up going with Gotoh.

A couple years later, EBMM was also offering floating Floyd Rose terms on Silhouettes. Same MUSIC MAN branded Gotoh unit as the EVH, but it didn't have offset saddles (meaning the saddle allen screw was centered under the string and to adjust the string had to be removed (or very slack). The earliest example I own of this is a Silhouette from April 1993. Not sure if the floating Gotoh Floyd Silos go black earlier in the 90s..

After EVH left EBMM, EBMM changed the EVH model to the Axis, which included moving the switch location, a slightly wider neck at the heel, the Axis logo instead of Ed's sig, and switch to the same MUSIC MAN branded Gotoh unit as the Silo, the one without the offset saddles.

On all of those previous Floyds, the bar was generally not intended to be removed. It was attached from the underside with an Allen screw that controlled the tension, and there was a contraption on the top of the Floyd with an Allen screw that controlled the wobble. To take the bar off, you needed to use an Allen key and it was a slight pain.

In 2011, EVH switched away from Gotoh and manufactured a new licensed Floyd Rose trem. It's a different trem manufactured by a different company. No parts are interchangeable (except maybe the rear springs, the nut pads and hex screws, and maybe the little black saddle block squares). The main noticeable differences are (1) the tremolo bar pops in rather than being permanently affixed; (2) the fine tuners on the new trem are "thinner" than the ones on the Gotoh trem (I way prefer the Gotoh fine tuners because there's more "meat" to grab and they're more rounded so they are easier on your hand when you bang them; (3) the trem posts are now chrome instead of black and seem to be a bit smaller / less substantial. Everything else is a little different but basically the same (no functional difference).

The first guitars to have the new trem were the Axis Tributes in 2011. Interestingly, on the Tributes, the MUSIC MAN on the trem was not molded in the metal; it was etched (laser etching?)."

tbonesullivan

Do you have any pictures of the bridge you have? How worn are the saddles?

I think the Luke 1 used the same floyd with the offset saddle bolts. I wonder why Gotoh stopped making them that way when they made the 1996T.

Last edited:

EBMM_EVH_1992

Heres the pics .. they look exactly the same, it's a 1992 EVH vs a 1997 Luke I so looks to be the same tremolo parts.

Do Axis's have the same up to a certain year (and what is that year) ?

IMG-9803.jpg

IMG-9796.jpg

IMG-9798.jpg

IMG-9800.jpg

IMG-9802.jpg

IMG-9797.jpg

IMG-9799.jpg

IMG-9801.jpg

dibart77

Those are both offsets. You should be good. Just make sure to switch one saddle at a time (Low E --> Low E), add new string and test that everything is good before you move to the next saddle.

EBMM_EVH_1992

Thanks !!!

Do the Axis guitars have offsets too - or did they change the trem slightly when introducing the model ?

I'm currently negotiating on a couple of pre 2001 models.

dibart77

As far as I know, the Axis lost the offset saddles from the get-go. My oldest Axis is from 4/17/1996 (actually, I have two that were made on that date!), but I don't have easy access to mine right now to confirm.

EBMM_EVH_1992

Thanks - may be a case of seeing if I can get an Axis Ex .. that will have been where the remaining parts went to.

Stratty316

As far as I know, the Axis lost the offset saddles from the get-go. My oldest Axis is from 4/17/1996 (actually, I have two that were made on that date!), but I don't have easy access to mine right now to confirm.

My Gold Axis has a 12/13/96 build date and it has the offset saddles. If I remember correctly, the change was made in 97/98 because Gotoh had stopped producing that trem and introduced the 1996T. Music Man used the offset version until stock ran out then continued with the non-offset version until 2012.

tbonesullivan

Thanks !!!

Do the Axis guitars have offsets too - or did they change the trem slightly when introducing the model ?

I'm currently negotiating on a couple of pre 2001 models.
Well, the 1996T was introduced in 1996, so maybe everyone switched to it.

Honestly, there doesn't look to be much difference in condition between the EVH and the Luke you posted. You could swap some saddles, but I can't remember how many different saddle heights there are, and whether the slots on the saddles are different.

Usually with a floyd, the two E saddles are one height, the B and A are slightly higher, and the D and G are higher still.

If it's just the feel of the oxidized stuff you might be able to just swap your own high E saddle to the low E.

EBMM_EVH_1992

Cheers guys - the Luke saddles are better condition so can swap those out - looking at some late 90s Axis guitars as fancy one anyway and some great deals out there too. If the trem parts match even better, will report back !

Top Bottom