• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

NickNihil

Just curious as to what exactly compelled EBMM to start making their own pickups (I assume a combination of cost and freedom?) and when exactly they first started doing so. Was it with the STV HH? That was the first one I actually saw.

Billy Tennessee

I believe they started with the Cutlass and StingRay guitars released in 2015 or so. Technically they put their own pickups in the Sub1 guitars of the early 2000s. Not sure of the reasoning. The pickups in my Cutlass sound dang good.

John C

It goes back further than that - the MM90s were made in-house, and I think they start in 1998? I may be off by a year either way on that.

GWDavis28

It goes back further than that - the MM90s were made in-house, and I think they start in 1998? I may be off by a year either way on that.

They were I remember seeing them building them at the Open House in 2005.

Glenn |B)

Astrofreq

I love the Cutlass pickups and put them up against any of the major pickup brands. Obviously, I haven't heard all pickups out there today, but the Cutlass is no slouch! :)

tbonesullivan

I remember there being several BFR guitars that had in house made pickups before the Stingray and Cutlass came out.

Before that, a lot of the Dimarzio and SD pickups that EBMM used were custom wound, either per the request of the artist, or because they are no longer made, like the Virtual PAFs on the Silo guitars.

No idea why they decided to move to more in house pickups, though that does mean that they need someone on staff who is really good at winding and designing pickups. I know that Dudley Gimpel designed the Luke III pickups, but I don't know who they have making pickups now.

DrKev

Somewhere between Paris, Dublin, and Buffalo
My thought was that working with so many artists on new guitars (like the Valentine, LIII, St. Vincent, Richardson Cutlass, Mariposa) it makes so much more sense to work with the artist on the pickups too. Keep everything in-house, so much more efficient and easier for everyone.

NickNihil

Fascinating that they've long been mixing making their own with sourcing from other manufacturers, though I guess they have some good folks in the pickup department as those new St Vincent Goldie pickups are magical.

tbonesullivan

My thought was that working with so many artists on new guitars (like the Valentine, LIII, St. Vincent, Richardson Cutlass, Mariposa) it makes so much more sense to work with the artist on the pickups too. Keep everything in-house, so much more efficient and easier for everyone.

Very true. Reading about how when developing the EVH pickups, the people from Dimarzio had to fly back and forth across the country, made me wonder how much that delayed development.

Still, they make the Axis pickups (also used on the Al HH), Steve Morse pickups, have made all of the Petrucci pickups, made the Luke III original pickups, the original St. Vincent pickups, and probably others I can't remember.

TheSash

I can only say that the EBMM pickups from my L III are one of if not the best pickups I have aber heard in 25 years of making music.

Top Bottom