• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Shankly

Hi there,

In recent months I’ve been looking for a guitar that’s really easy to play. Over that time, I’ve played a few EBMM guitars and I love the finish on the necks. I also love the 1 5/8 nut width.

Right now I have a Music Zoo Axis in purple quilt with roasted flamed neck at my studio -sent over by a friend to see if I wish to buy it. It’s beautifully made, intonates perfectly, sounds great and the neck feel is amazing …but playing on that asymmetrical carve has inflamed a joint in my index finger. Modifying my technique helps, but I’m already doing that to avoid the high and low E strings slipping off.

If the Axis neck was not asymmetrical and basically was the same on the treble side as the bass side, I think I’d be more comfortable.

So here’s my question:

Of the 1 5/8 nut Ball guitars, which have the deepest, non-asymmetrical neck profiles?

I already know this:

JP -too wide/thin for me
Luke -too tiny for me
Morse and Valentine: A little small, but acceptable. I’d like fatter though.

I’m especially interested if there are any limited editions that popped out with 1 5/8 nut and fat backshapes. Especially Axis models.

Let me know what you know. I just love the neck finish, and would really like to make my next guitar an EBMM.

Pink

I would steer you away from the Silhouette models if you find the Luke necks too small. This process may be successful through process of elimination.

moxsi

Having played two Valentines (regular Toluca Lake Blue and a BFR w/ bound neck) if you like the neck profile but find it a bit slim I'd recommend seeing if you can try out a bound neck version.

Going purely off memory/recollection, but I think the bound version has a slightly thicker neck (maybe thanks to the binding).

Stratty316

The Albert Lee fits the bill. Think of it as a little fatter Axis neck without the asymmetrical carve. It’s a very comfortable guitar to play and if you go the HH route its got the same HB’s as the Axis. The rosewood neck is really nice as well, though the roasted maple on the 2021 version should brighten it up a little. I’m an Axis guy and the AL neck is as close to the Axis as I can find without being an Axis.

Shankly

Thanks everyone for your comments!

Looks like the AL is the path to pursue…

Top Bottom