• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jommi

Ok, everyone knows, that every guitarist´s sound comes basically his fingers, that very personal way how he touches the strings. In this point, for example, to me Rocktron Voodu Valve is very very versatile pre-amp, because if you can use it´s all abilities, you can get almost every sound, but not his. (Ok, ok, also sounds like Steve Vai, Brian May, etc. are hard to get, just because of this finger-touch-thing) Now, is there any all-tube head/combo + floorpedals, that produces that amazing Moore sound?
Especially I LOVE Moore´s Blues Alive - album. I have played it thru several hundreds of time, and it still makes impression. Also BBM-album was very good, Moore played just as hot that E.C bib before him.
Gary Moore´s sound is very similar to Stevie Ray Vaughan´s sound - differences are just about amount of gain. Both has very, very screamy and sustained high-end, while bass-end sounds more cleaner. (Few years there was article - i dont remember that guitar mag´s name now - about Diaz amplification. They mentioned, that Diaz has just this point of sound - High is very sustained and it screams, bass end is much cleaner.)

BTW, funny: When you start to play guitar, it is very important to you in the beginning, that you can play every scale etc. so fast as possible. When you have played several years more, you start to learn to play slowly - and try to sound just great. Steve Lukather is good example of this. 5 or 6 years ago I listened TOTO´s Mindfields again, and it is intresting, how "little" he is playin´after all, you know what i mean? Kinda minimally. He just lets those few riffs to melt into other instruments sounds, not tryin´to lead them. It was breakthru to me. In moment i knew what this all is about.
So, when i realized this thing about playing guitar - after 18 years - my heroes are Brian May, G.Moore, Dave Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, Eddie Van Halen, Steve Lukather.

Last edited:

Jommi

Yes, Moore released Blues for Greeny-album in 1995. In fact, Moore played those tracks with an old Gibson Les Paul, that was gift from Peter Green.

BTW: Moore is Irish, from Belfast ;)

Last edited:

tommyindelaware

well if you take a les paul...... flip the neck pickup so the pole adjustment screws are on the bridge side instead of the fingerboard side....... & kill the top coil (the coil w/out screws) of the neck humbucker and play thru a small amont of warm distortion with both pickups on you will find that funky sorta hollow almost tele sorta tone peter used ......it is way cool & different !!!!!

Last edited:

SteveB

I remember Gary Moore's version of "Shapes of Things" being very good.

I thought he was a Marshall user? Didn't he have an endorsement deal with them years ago? I remember ads with Gary Moore in the guitar mags, I just can't remember what he was selling..

As I recall he was standing in front of a wall of speaker cabs with his arms folded and a guitar slung around him. But I'm talking 1980's here, so I could have a lot of it wrong...

Dodgeball

I beleive he used a Les Paul into a Marshall Guv'nor into a Marshall stack for much of his career. I think he's moved onto those new p2p wired Marshall combos now though.

If you have a 50 or 100 watt Marshall head I'd try and pick up a Guv'nor pedal used and stick on some echo/reverb. Should get you pretty close.

Jommi

Marshalls. Just curious: What Marshall amp has most gain & sustain?

Tokkes

Check out www.marshallamps.com and type Gary Moore in the search function above right. You will get a lot of hits, the first one being an overview of Moore's collection of Marshall amps. There are also interviews in which he explains how the sound of some of his albums came together.

Marshall amp with most gain and sustain? They all have a lot of gain and sustain. Most gain would be the JCM2000 TSL100 head in my opinion, most sustain still is the Valvestate generation one series for me.

Cheers, Tom.

Jommi

There was some seventies´ Marshall head, that was very gainful, i dont remember model anymore. Anyway my opinion is that Marshall is somekind... it has no soul, distortion is not so tight, that Soldano has. Mesa/Boogie´s distorted channel is too heavy to me, Carvin Legacy is promising one... :eek:

edensdad

I saw Gary Moore in Boston right around 1989/1990 and he was incredible. Like SRV, he seemed to rip the notes out of his soul. He's one of those artists that is much better live than on CD. For most of that show he used a white Stratocaster and a LP. I actually learned "The Loner" from his Wild Frontier album. :)

taximan

Get it right

Jommi said:
Yes, Moore released Blues for Greeny-album in 1995. In fact, Moore played those tracks with an old Gibson Les Paul, that was gift from Peter Green.

BTW: Moore is Irish, from Belfast ;)
Sorry to correct you mate it wasent a gift he swapped an SG and parted with money, peter green did want gary to have it though, peter was at a low point at this time life, to many drugs/acohol (saddly) :(

Last edited:

taximan

tommyindelaware said:
well if you take a les paul...... flip the neck pickup so the pole adjustment screws are on the bridge side instead of the fingerboard side....... & kill the top coil (the coil w/out screws) of the neck humbucker and play thru a small amont of warm distortion with both pickups on you will find that funky sorta hollow almost tele sorta tone peter used ......it is way cool & different !!!!!
I doing it a gain havin to correct this peter green /gary moore half truths, peter green did have the pickup the wrong way roung this wont change the sound to the "peter green /garry moore" sound you can even try the strat trick and reverse wire it , you wont get it, the only way to achive anything like is to take the magnet from the frount pickup and turn it the upside down if you do this you will be very close to the sound forget about what amp what gain setting or stomp box by the way gary moore uses an ibenez tube screemer on most of his stuff, marshall and soldano amps, to get this magnet mod right this is how you do it, if the pickup is in the palm of your hand and your palm is pointing to the celing pole pices to the floor, the side of the magnets that are now facing the celing need to be facing the floor thats as simple i can explain it remember you will have to take the steel mounting plate off first.

cbpmmjp05

SteveB said:
I remember Gary Moore's version of "Shapes of Things" being very good.

I thought he was a Marshall user? Didn't he have an endorsement deal with them years ago? I remember ads with Gary Moore in the guitar mags, I just can't remember what he was selling..

As I recall he was standing in front of a wall of speaker cabs with his arms folded and a guitar slung around him. But I'm talking 1980's here, so I could have a lot of it wrong...

Yeah, I believe the album cover your speaking of was either "Victims of the Future" or "Corridors of Power." It's hard to remember, because it was so long ago. I know there was a live version of it on "We Want Moore," which was absolutely smoking!

I'm not sure what Gary used on the later blues stuff he released. I really didn't follow his stuff much after the 80's. But I do know that back in the early/mid 80's it was primarily a Fender Strat or a Les Paul through a Marshall.

tvanveen

taximan said:
I doing it a gain havin to correct this peter green /gary moore half truths, peter green did have the pickup the wrong way roung this wont change the sound to the "peter green /garry moore" sound you can even try the strat trick and reverse wire it , you wont get it, the only way to achive anything like is to take the magnet from the frount pickup and turn it the upside down if you do this you will be very close to the sound forget about what amp what gain setting or stomp box by the way gary moore uses an ibenez tube screemer on most of his stuff, marshall and soldano amps, to get this magnet mod right this is how you do it, if the pickup is in the palm of your hand and your palm is pointing to the celing pole pices to the floor, the side of the magnets that are now facing the celing need to be facing the floor thats as simple i can explain it remember you will have to take the steel mounting plate off first.

This is the longest sentence I've ever seen.

tv

Top Bottom