• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

Jommi

Is there any differences between necks in Music Man EVH and Peavey Wolfgang? Scale, etc?

smk5150

The most obvious difference is in the radius . MM has 10" - Peavey is flatter (15"), same scale and sligthly different back contours.

Tim O'Sullivan

I have both. The Peavey is flatter and wider, and its more of a D shape than a C of the EBMM. It still has the ofset shape of the EBMM neck (fatter on the bass side). The Peavey feels more generic, where as the EBMM feels 'special' Also the Peavey has ridiculously tall fret wire that is quite flat topped.

hbucker

I can agree with Tim for the most part. The Wolf may feel a bit more "generic" yet you're comparing it to a neck that is extremely unique. Compared to a Fender neck, the Wolf neck isn't generic in the least.

The tall fretwire requires a light touch or you'll have intonation problems. That's for sure.

His description of the spec differences is dead on. Wolf neck = Flatter and wider.

If you like one, there's a chance you'll like the other, yet they are so different it's easy to see why peoplle would have their obvious preference.

thindave

With regards to the fretwire - does anyone know which # is on both necks? I ordered a warmoth wolfie neck for an old strat-o-monster I have and I ordered 6105 fretwire - that's a tall one, no? Is that what's on the Wolfgang?

hbucker

If it doesn't happen with the Axis I can't imagine why it would happen with a Wolf. ...strange.

oh well

:rolleyes:

bluebullet

i think the biggest difference is in the finish work. the ebmm fret work is better. the fingerboard is nice and smooth with rold edges and the back of the neck feels smoother which is probably from the oil and wax as opposed to just the tung oil that peavey uses. i like the flatter radius on the wolf but not enough to give up the rest of the advantages that the axis has. the axis neck feels more broken in to me. the moment your hand touches it it feels like you have been playing it for years. but thats just my opinion.

hbucker

I agree that the oil wax combo gives the neck a little smoother feel. And there is a broken in feel to both yet the EVH has by far a more used feel. The Wolf neck doesn't use Tung Oil. It has only Lemon Oil applied. Actually, I think Tung Oil would be better...

I've been playing my Wolves for several years now and over time and with regular care, they too take on the ultra smooth feel that the EVH has. But they still require more oil over time than my EVH has. I attribut that to the wax on the EVH protecting the wood a little more. Both the Wolf and EVH necks require much more TLC and maintenance than a standard lacquered neck.

IMO these necks have a similar ergonomic feel, yet they are very, very different necks. Like cousins who kind of look alike but not really.

In fact, I'd bet if EVH weren't involved with both of these guitars it wouldn't occur to people to talk about them as though they were almost the same.

Top Bottom