• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

saplingg

What brand do you guys recommend?

I bought a bottle of Old Enligh lemon oil today like this

145300_front500.jpg

I was wondering if it was suitable for my JP musicman, on the back of the neck and on the fretboard.

jbert

Funny, I would have answered the opposite. I use that same lemon oil on the fretboard, and I use Dunlop 65 guitar cleaner on the body and (occasionally) the neck.

Search the forum on this topic, and I'm sure you'll find other posts to guide you as well.

Raz

dwf1004 said:
...not on the fretboard. The back of the neck, should be OK.
Gee I use that brand on my rosewood fretboard, in fact I remember going through a whole series of posts and determining that it was cool...
Lemon Oil

Lemon Oil 2

OK here are the two threads I started...both agree that good quality lemon oil (Old English included) on the fretboard, used sparingly is OK!

Just stay away from silicone...

Last edited:

tommyindelaware

saplingg said:
Alright, cool. What do you recommend for cleaning the fretboard?

i clean my rosewood fretboards every time i change strings just using a slightly damp cloth & elbow grease........but you dont oil them that often...... rosewood has natural oils in it....i oil mine once a year ....... if that much.
only if you live in a VERY dry location would you oil rosewood more than once or twice a yaer. too much oil will soften the wood too much over time....and perhaps allow frets to become unseated . ( or loose)
on the neck i would ONLY use brichwood & casey's gunstock oil like ebmm...

Last edited:

caucajun

lemony oil

yeah, that's the stuff. i've been using it for years. gits th' ooge offa yer pawnshop prize. i oil up th' whole guitar w/ it. never had a prob or damage. although.........it does tend to leave a vintagey yellow tinge on every thing it touches.......personally, i like that. :cool: :

OrangeChannel

I use Formby's...weird Tommy, I tend to oil mine every few months, because it gets hot here on LI...and the wood dries out to that greyish haze...I might start using Roche Thomas fretboard oil...

Jimi D

I have to disagree with Darrell here too... I give my Rosewood fretboards a light dose of Old English Lemon Oil every six months or so - I really like the results, too. I agree that it must be used sparingly and only very occasionally, however.

jongitarz

Jimi D said:
I have to disagree with Darrell here too... I give my Rosewood fretboards a light dose of Old English Lemon Oil every six months or so - I really like the results, too. I agree that it must be used sparingly and only very occasionally, however.

+1 Gunstock oil/wax for the neck, and lemon oil for the rosewood. Only when it looks really dry, or if you use it more often, don't use a lot. :cool:

mhorse

jongitarz said:
+1 Gunstock oil/wax for the neck, and lemon oil for the rosewood. Only when it looks really dry, or if you use it more often, don't use a lot. :cool:
What if part of the fingerboard looks dry? On my SUB parts of the fingerboard that get used a lot look like they are ok, but ones that don't look realtivley dry? Should I apply some lemon oil there?

dwf1004

...alright, all of you.

:D :p

Being up at 6am, and in the downward spiral of inebriation, I got the two mixed up...:eek: yes, Darrell's human!

Lemon oil on rosewood fretboard = GOOD
Gunstock oil wax on rosewood fretboard = BAD

Mixed drinks = GOOD...but dangerous. ;)

Note to self...stay off the computer post-alcohol. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

saplingg

Alright cool. Sorry I didn't think of doing a search first, stupid me.

Although, Darrell, I used lemon oil on the neck last night so be careful of the drunk posting :p

bearkat16

Yep. Old English is great. I just did my brothers acoustic for him. He doesn't play much anymore so it was collecting dust and in the same room as his fireplace. It had 2 really bad cracks in the fretboard and the old english got rid of them and now his fretboad looks like new. I applied a little bit then let sit for about 15 minutes then wipe off. I repeated this 3 times because it was super dry. On my guitars I only do the process once. It was kinda cool to see the cracks disappear.

tommyindelaware

bearkat16 said:
Yep. Old English is great. I just did my brothers acoustic for him. He doesn't play much anymore so it was collecting dust and in the same room as his fireplace. It had 2 really bad cracks in the fretboard and the old english got rid of them and now his fretboad looks like new. I applied a little bit then let sit for about 15 minutes then wipe off. I repeated this 3 times because it was super dry. On my guitars I only do the process once. It was kinda cool to see the cracks disappear.

so the oil caused the wood to swell------closing the cracks ?

blackspy

dwf1004 said:
...alright, all of you.

:D :p

Being up at 6am, and in the downward spiral of inebriation, I got the two mixed up...:eek: yes, Darrell's human!

Lemon oil on rosewood fretboard = GOOD
Gunstock oil wax on rosewood fretboard = BAD

Mixed drinks = GOOD...but dangerous. ;)

Note to self...stay off the computer post-alcohol. :p

Ok, so I'm clear .. you're saying Gunstock Oil / Wax on a Maple fretboard is good?

blackspy

That's what I thought, but I've been told, more than once .. don't do it. ?? I can't keep track of the conflicting advice....

bearkat16

so the oil caused the wood to swell------closing the cracks ?

Believe it or not, it did. I wasn't expecting the lemon oil to do that. I took it over to the door after i was done to look at it in good light and to my suprise i could not find the cracks. I didn't use alot either, just wet the end of my finger and lightly rubbed it on. Although i repeated the process 3 times because it was so dry.

tommyindelaware

blackspy said:
Ok, so I'm clear .. you're saying Gunstock Oil / Wax on a Maple fretboard is good?

in the proper circumstance.......but not for typical cleaning.........for reconditioning like new..... only if really needed....like after a fingerboard leveling where the fingerboard is again raw maple.

Last edited:
Top Bottom