• Ernie Ball
  • MusicMan
  • Sterling by MusicMan

glockaxis

I have a G&L Legacy (strat) for single coil work (although I'm thinking of selling/trading it later for a Sillhoutte w/ 3 single coils) and I just bought a book by George Fullerton (the G in G&L) about the company, Leo, and all the instuments and how they came about. I think it's real cool.

Does the EBMM Company have anything like this published or on the table for us fans of the instuments? I think it would be an awesome idea.

Jimi D

This is definitely an idea who's time has come - there's enough "history" now that someone could have plenty to write about if they chose to... Add a whack of cool pics and you could easily fill a 200 page trade with the history of EBMM guitars and basses. And there are enough cool anecdotes, bits of trivia, and points of interest around the development and evolution of these guitars that that it really should be collected and collated in some format other than a loose bunch of messages in a newsgroup or a few snippets from interviews in a magazine article... In depth interviews with BP and Dudley would be a must, and smaller bits with each of the artists talking briefly about their signature axes would also be cool... Structurally, you'd have to deal with the the pre-MM to current history of EB, including info about Ernie himself and the birth of guitar strings as we know them today, as well as Emergenza, the Battle of the Bands, the CLB Foundation, etc... Then you'd need the pre-EB history of MM as well (though more briefly - but there are the first two chapters). After that you could get into the meat, starting with the reintroduction of the StingRay and developement of the Sterling Bass, then the developement of the first EBMM guitars (the Silhouette and the first AL née Axis proto) and their introduction at the Summer '86 NAMM, the first signature instruments (Morse & Luke and the European distro of the "unofficial" Albert Lee Silhouette sig.), the Stingray 5, the EVH, the Axis, Silhouette Special, Axis Sport, Super Sport, Silhouette Bass, Bongo, Pet 6 & 7, S.U.B., S.U.B. 1, S.U.B. Sterling and Benji... each referencing construction details in terms of the development, things that have come and gone, hardware evolution, etc... whew! And you'd have to have a good factory tour! It would be a terrific project, and with BP's blessing and support it could be a wonderful book!

SteveB

Big Poppa said:
WHo wants to write it?

I think that we could put together a book of great threads here.

I think NorM should write it...

in white text on a tan background... ;)

Whaddaya say, NorM?

Jimi D

Big Poppa said:
WHo wants to write it?
I honestly think writing it would be the easiest part of the job... With this kind of book - a "fan" book, written specifically for afficionados of the brand and guitar collectors in general - the Devil is in the details... The History of EB section would need dates and details, lots of old pics and ideally some interviews w/ EE's who were around in the beginning and remember the stores and the birth of the strings... Detailed, print-suitable instrument pics from development to current production would have to be found... and the process of digging info out of the retiscent Mr. Gimpel could prove painful! ;)

Big Poppa said:
I think that we could put together a book of great threads here.
Perhaps... there's definitely some good info here, but seperating the wheat from the chaff would take some work, and fleshing it out would require more research, certainly...

fogman

I'm sure Big Poppa could write a book on his accounts alone!!! Forget about the guitars, strings, etc.....

I'm placing an order for the first autographed copy. Where do I send my cheque?

glockaxis

I wouldn't mind co-authoring or assisting in doing such a book. I wrote a book for my Master's Thesis but it wasn't the undertaking that we're talking about here. Also, it is true that the book would have to be focused or else we're talking volumes.

NorM

Roast Beef is Good

SteveB said:
I think NorM should write it...

in white text on a tan background... ;)

Whaddaya say, NorM?
I agree with BP. There's plenty of material here. Coupled with Jimi's and Jack's websites I think it tells a lot of story. There are still some anecdotes missing that only people like BP, Luke, Dudley, Steve, JonG, et al can tell.

I know you are a busy man Sterling. But in preparation for this book could you start a weekly "Story Time" Thread. Kinda like the Torture thread on the Fish (bass) side. You could assign people to tell the stories you want told.

This book would not be complete without a chapter on the open house Shirley.
Uh Huh Huh... I just called you Shirley

Last edited:
Top Bottom