Ernie Ball Paradigm

Thread: Battery box issue?

Question Battery box issue?

Hey all,

At a gig a couple weeks ago, I was getting no output from my Game Changer. I thought maybe my batteries were dead (despite having recently replaced them), so I swapped them out for some new ones. Still no output, except for a nasty buzzing sound. I removed and replaced the batteries a few times, and it finally came back online. Got through the gig OK. Tested the old batteries and learned that, as I expected, they were still fresh.

I've got no idea where to start troubleshooting this. Has anyone experienced this issue? Any thoughts where to start looking for problems?

Thanks!
    Drew

Welcome to the forum, Drew!

I haven't had this with my Game Changer, but one of my EBMMs has an output jack that is looser than the others. If your cable had gotten loose or come out of the jack just slightly, it could shut down the electronics in the guitar. So don't overlook that. There are variances in the connectors on different 1/4" cables that I've picked up over the years, and some don't hold as securely in my guitars.
    ---------------
    2016 PDN Luke 3 HH Starry Night (DOB 12/29/2016)
    2016 Valentine in Trans Maroon (DOB 11/29/2016)
    2014 Axis SS Semi-Hollow MM90 with Piezo (DOB 9/11/2014)
    2012 Reflex Game Changer HSH with Piezo (DOB 5/22/2012)
    2006 20th Anniversary Silhouette Hardtail with Piezo (DOB 11/7/2006)

Quote Originally Posted by jones4tone View Post
    Welcome to the forum, Drew!

I haven't had this with my Game Changer, but one of my EBMMs has an output jack that is looser than the others. If your cable had gotten loose or come out of the jack just slightly, it could shut down the electronics in the guitar. So don't overlook that. There are variances in the connectors on different 1/4" cables that I've picked up over the years, and some don't hold as securely in my guitars.
    This is very true. George L's cables are excellent in this regard.
    "To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." Randy Rhoads

'13 GC HSHP
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP
    '14 ASS Semi MM90

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Black Star HT-1

Thanks! I've definitely had that issue too on occasion, so I was able to eliminate it as a problem in this case, but you're right that it's something to be aware of. Cheers!

Oddly, my George L instrument cable seems to be the one most prone to disconnection. :/

Quote Originally Posted by dwheelr View Post
    Oddly, my George L instrument cable seems to be the one most prone to disconnection. :/
    It's the only cable I've never had a problem with--90 at the guitar and straight into the head.
    "To this day I don't have a guitar idol. I have people who are my favorites." Randy Rhoads

'13 GC HSHP
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP
    '14 ASS Semi MM90

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Black Star HT-1

Thanks! I've definitely had that issue too on occasion, so I was able to eliminate it as a problem in this case, but you're right that it's something to be aware of. Cheers!
    Were you able to troubleshoot and identify the problem? Curious, in case it happens to me in the future. Thanks!

'13 GC HSHP
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP
    '14 ASS Semi MM90

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Black Star HT-1

No. It's frustratingly intermittent. I cleaned the contacts inside the battery box. They didn't look dirty, but it seemed like a thing to do. Haven't had the issue for a week or so. I'll update if it ever comes back. Thanks!

That is strange and frustrating. Keep us updated. Will definitely check in if I experience anything similar.

'13 GC HSHP
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP
    '14 ASS Semi MM90

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Black Star HT-1

Very useful because I also struggled with this problem battery. But now I managed to do it

No. It's frustratingly intermittent. I cleaned the contacts inside the battery box. They didn't look dirty, but it seemed like a thing to do. Haven't had the issue for a week or so. I'll update if it ever comes back. Thanks!
    Drew, based on the issue you raised, I checked out my battery box tonight while I was changing the batteries. I noticed that one of the springs appeared to be somewhat compressed without the battery being installed. I played around with it and sure enough without the other batteries also in there was not enough tension from the spring to hold the battery in place by itself--there was contact, but not much pressure from the spring. I stretched the spring gently until it looked roughly the same as the others and voila, same pressure. Not sure if this is helpful for your situation, but thought I would share.

'13 GC HSHP
    '14 GC HSHP
    '14 ASS Semi HHP
    '14 ASS Semi MM90

Mesa Boogie Mark V 25
    Suhr Corso
    Bad Cat 2x12
    Black Star HT-1